Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Making it through the hard times

Lately I have been in a funk about Finley's school stuff.  She had a great team, but it is SO big, and SO many differing opinions, I don't feel that meetings we have really go anywhere.  We just go round and round and I just leave feeling frustrated.

The day of our last meeting, two weeks ago, I came home and needed to blow off some steam.  I went to my exercise class, but still felt wound up.  So....I came home and did some reading.  I had been working on the book "Allegiant" - by Veronica Roth.

The chapter I was on was talking about a sculpture.  The sculpture was a slab of stone with a large crack the ran through the middle of it.  Above the slab of stone was a glass tank full of water.  From the tank, water drips one drop at a time and disappears down into the stone below.

It turns out that this sculpture is a symbol.  The slab of stone is the problem they are facing.  The tank of water is their potential for changing that problem.  And the drop of water is what they are actually able to do at any given time.

The way they look at it is that if you are persistent enough, even tiny drops of water, over time, can change the rock forever.  And it will never change it back.

One of the characters thought it would be better to just unleash the whole tank of water at once.  She felt that doing a little at once can fix something, eventually, but she believed that if something was truly a problem, you throw everything you have at it because you can't help yourself.

The other character explained that this would only help momentarily.  But that then they wouldn't have any water left to do anything else, and some things cannot be solved with one big charge.

---------------------------------------

This is something I was glad to read on this particular day.  I tend to jump in with two feet and want to go full charge ahead, when the reality is - slow and steady wins the race.  I get so frustrated because I want everything to be perfect RIGHT NOW, and I want everything to we resolved RIGHT NOW.  But the truth is....that is not realistic. 

We must bend and flow.  We must be patient.  We must work with Finley's team, and respect the knowledge they bring to the table, and hope that they will respect us in return.

This passage from the book also applies to our foundation and our efforts for a cure.  We would love to sprint to the end.  But we know that research doesn't work like that.  We have to have a measure of patience so that when our kids are given the cure, everything is perfect.  That the researchers have had the time they need to obtain everything they need to make a clinical trial happen. 

We all know what we have to do on any given day at any given time.  We know the right approach.  It isn't always easy.  My husband is fluent in being patient and seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.  I am more of the person who throws her hands up and wants to jump up and scream when things are not going how I would hope they would.

One step at a time.  That step will change our path forever.  Just like the water over the rock.  And we will never be the same.

No comments: