Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Being Thankful

Every year at this time, I like to remind myself of how blessed I am.  I think about it on a daily basis - how lucky we really are.  We have a beautiful home, enough food on our table, and very little worries.  We have beautiful healthy children, and our own health.

 But today, I talked with a mom on the phone that was very upset about something that was physically happening to her child.  Her little boy has "lazy eye" and mom was so upset.  Anything wrong with our children is upsetting, but talking to this mom was hard for me.  Her son's lazy eye will be fixed.  His sight will remain, and he will go on for life.  But she kept talking about he is "legally blind" (which he is not), and "if he didn't have his good eye he would be completely blind".

I am sure you can guess why this was hard for me.  I wanted to tell her that she should be thankful that what her son had was all it was - a temporary problem that would resolve with some eye patching.  When we have to watch Finley slowly go blind and we cannot do anything about it.  She should be thankful.

 But then I thought - to her, this is devestating news.  To her, this is something that is upsetting to her.  So, I bit my tongue, and gave her my sympathy.  She doesn't need to hear that my situation might be a little worse than hers.  Because to her, it isn't.  To her - this was more than she could handle, and it had brought her to tears.

So for that, I am thankful that I have been able to deal with Finley's diagnosis and move beyond the tears.  Do we still cry?  Of course.  I look at her sometimes and just want to yell how unfair it is - especially since she has no idea what is coming.  But - I am thankful for the progress we have made with education on LCA, fundraising for a cure, and our strength we have gained as a family.  I am thankful that Mat and I were able to deal with this as a team, and have grown closer because of it.

So no - I couldn't be bitter with this mom in the end.  I hope that someday she can be thankful that her son still has his sight.  That someday he will drive.  I hope that she can come out on the other side of this thankful.

When I look back over the last year, and see the progress we have made - learning braille, teaching our children braille, and making the most of our situation, I cannot believe it has only been a year.  In this year, our family - thanks to our family and friends - has been able to give around $30,000 to research for LCA.  That is truly amazing.  I am so thankful for my family and friends, and strangers that made our dream of Finley to always be a sighted person a little closer to reality. 

 We are truly blessed.  We are truly loved.  We can always tell Finley that we - and about 1000 of her closest friends - fought as hard as they could.  For her.  And I know - she will be thankful.



See you Saturday.

No comments: