Saturday, January 30, 2010

By the light of the moon - craziness shall be in bloom

This week, with the appearance of the "wolf moon" made me realize why the kids at the school were acting so nutty. By Friday morning, I was spent and asked a co-worker if there was a full moon, and she told me yes - a "wolf moon". (click on the words to read more about it)

That did not sound promising.

And it wasn't. Friday I was ready to tell the kids to "get a grip" when they came in hoards to my office for one thing or another. No one was sick - they just were out of sorts. All this week - I just couldn't put my finger on it. The teachers and I thought we had turned a corner with the kids - less nurse visit requests, smoother days, more work getting done......

Then....the moon appeared.

If you are a pediatric nurse, or work with children in any field, you will be with me when I say - the full moon has an effect on kids. I believe it. They go off the deep end - can't focus, don't eat well, whine more than normal. It is pretty crazy.

But we made it through. Last night over night, though, Finley woke up crying that she needed a kleenex. Started screaming her head off a 1:00 in the morning. Doing this woke and startled Arlington and Arlington came into the room and said "I can't sleep with Finley screaming like that!" Huh - really? The girls never wake up and never have a bad night.....

Full moon, I tell ya. Ha ha ha!

So today, we are all exhausted. We don't feel like doing much around the house. Mat did work on the cabinets in the basement. Then realized that some pieces he bought were not right. So back to the store tomorrow. Slow but sure it is coming together.

Mat is working on Finley's DNA today. And by that I mean - he has the results of the samples back and he is going through them to see if she has the RPE65 gene in LCA. I am not going to get my hopes up (I will explain) because it would be too easy if that was the version she had. See, the RPE65 gene of LCA is the one they have had success on restoring sight. They have the ability to reverse the damage in this gene alone right now. I should know before I post this tonight if she has RPE65 or not.

The girl's had their swimming lessons this morning. Finley had a chance to wear her new goggles and I think that helped with the underwater moments. She would still try to wipe her eyes as soon as she came up from under the water, but then realize she didn't have to. They only have 2 more swimming lessons left.

Then is will be Cainan's turn. Wha ha ha ha ha.........

Tonight I am going to dinner and a movie with my friend Mindy from work. Mindy is on extended maternity leave and I haven't seen her in ages. I am going to see her and her baby before we go to dinner. After dinner we are seeing "When in Rome". We were going to see "Lovely Bones" but it is 150 minutes long, and we are too old to go to a late movie with that kind of length. I am looking foward to spending time with her.

As for the answer to the RPE65 question.........she doesn't have that one.

Bummer. On so many levels.

Clarification - if you do not understand the above information on the LCA update: We are still waiting for the blood work from the lab in Iowa. Mat ran his own set of DNA from Finley's saliva. The results he sent in are starting to come in. He has to sit down and go through the information he received to discover if she has a particular gene of LCA or not. There are 14 LCA genes. 14 differnt types of LCA (that they know of). The 1 gene - RPE65 is just one type of LCA. Finley does NOT have this type. This is the ONLY type of LCA they have been able to "cure". So now - Mat will look at ANOTHER type. When those results get to us. I hope this helps.
See you tomorrow for "So How Did It Go?" Sunday.


1 comment:

The Kovalls said...

That's a bummer about Finley. We should have figured she wouldn't be so easy to figure out! Fingers crossed for you guys. We are really excited to see you in a few weeks!