Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Funny

"I love smiling. Smiling's my favorite" - Buddy the Elf.

Raise your hands if your kids are funny.
Mine. Are. Hysterical.

I think this is what keeps you from giving them away - their cuteness and ability to make you laugh.

I try to remember all of the funny things my kids say, but don't always write them down. I need to get better at that because I want to be able to share with them, when they are older, how funny they were.

Sunday morning, Finley and Arlington came into our room. Arlington has a polly pocket with a leg broken off. She says "Finley broke the leg off the doll". Finley looks at me, very seriously as says, "No I didn't. The doll broke her own leg off."

Uh, huh. I see.

Finley is by far the funniest one in our house right now. I think this is about the age when Arlington proclaimed her life long dream was to be a "statue". Dream big, girl. Dream big.

**Finley calls a knife a "life".

**Her favorite song is "Always look on the Bright Side of Life" from Spamalot the musical. If you knew this song, you would think this was funny.

**She STILL thinks it is "girl" cheese instead of grilled cheese. There is no changing her mind.

**Finley and Cainan think that the character "Lightening McQueen" from the movie "Cars" name really is "Wiping them clean". So close.

I was checking on everyone Sunday night before going to bed. My girls are amazingly sound sleepers. I can move them all over and they never truly wake up. Anyway, I was in the girl's room, and after tucking them in one more time, I put some clothes in the hamper in Arlington's closet. At this point, Finley sat straight up - eyes STILL closed - and starts bobbing her head up and down. As if she is nodding yes. she says, "the cat ran away" and then laid back down. She was not awake, just talking in her sleep. For the record, we do not have a cat. I have no idea what she was talking about.

On New Years Eve we went to Pizza Hut (I know - classy) and Finley found gum under the table and proceeded to remove it. So gross. But funny. She had gone under the table and I had this quick thought that there might be gum under there, and I was right! At least she didn't try to eat it. I never got a kid's hands washed so fast.

The kids at work are always funny. Many of you have read some stories of mine in the past about kids who I work with. They never cease to amaze me. I have a little Kindergarten girl that walks by my room every day and shows me the hole in her mouth where her tooth used to be. Every day. Maybe 3-4 times a day. She pauses, shows me the hole, I smile, and she moves on. It is kind of unreal that she still feels the need to show me after 7 full days of school since she lost it.
I have had kids at work eat lunch tickets, put markers down their pants to hide them, put green beans in their chocolate milk and drink it on a dare. I don't put anything past them, and nothing surprises me any more.

Research has shown health benefits of laughter ranging from strengthening the immune system to reduce food cravings to increasing one's threshold for pain. There's even an emerging therapeutic field known as humor therapy to help people heal more quickly, among other things. Humor also has several important stress relieving benefits.

So find funny in each day. It is there - lurking around every corner - looking to put a smile on your face.

"The most wasted of all days is one without laughter." ~e.e. cummings

See you Saturday.





No comments: