Saturday, June 19, 2010

Braille Awareness

Yesterday was the LAST day of school for my district.  We all waved goodbye to the kids and had a nice staff party before parting ways for the next 10 weeks.  I have great co-workers.  We are all in need of a break from the kids, but we do enjoy being together.  I was sad to see my diabetic go for the last time.  He is off to middle school next year.  I am really going to miss him.

 So begins summer.  Arlington has one more day of school, and I will be going to work that day as well to clean up the office and make sure everything is in place.  I will be returning here and there an hour or so a time just because we have to put in a few extra days than the teachers.  But I won't officially be back until the 26th of August - so yay!!


Today we took the kids to a local beach/park for a Braille Awareness day.


It was offered by the National Federation for the Blind.
 We ate food, and played at the park, and played in the waves, the kids had a great time.

 We were there for a few hours.

 They gave the kids all little gift bags full of fun stuff.  They got a kick out of that.

 It was hard to see all the blind people, though.  Harder than I thought.
 I had given myself a pep talk before I went.....

 But when I saw them - struggling to get around by themselves in a unfamiliar area, I panicked a little.

 I saw a lot of people with seeing eye dogs, but more with canes.


I did see a sweet old couple - both blind - both holding hands and guiding each other around.  We spoke in line.  They were very natural, and easy to talk to.

 I said a small prayer that someday Finley finds someone to be with her like that.

 I know she is going to be fine.  That she speak up for herself.

 But this isn't what I want for her.  For anyone.  I saw a gentleman bend down and feel the ground so he could see where the grass ended and the sidewalk began.  That was tough to watch.
 But he never said a word.  He did his thing, got the information he needed, and moved on.
 I was having a hard time dealing with how frightening it would be to not be able to see were you are going.  Ever.  That you can't open your eyes and make the darkness go away.

 Anyway - it was different than I thought it would be.  I don't want people to look at Finley and see her handicap first.  I don't want them to stare at her, and pity her.

 I want them to walk up to her and have her give them her amazing smile, and strike up a conversation.

-----------------------------------------------

This coming week I am taking a tour of our local elementary school with the superintendent and the building committee.  Our local school is in desperate need of repairs, but we are not sure that the town feels the same.  Our building is not properly equipped for kids like Finley, so I am "sticking my nose in" and making sure that I am heard.

 So far that is going well.  We are forming a little parent committee that feels the same way I do, and we hope it makes a difference.  If nothing else - we can say that we tried.

 I will always advocate for my kids.  If I don't feel like the school is meeting Finley's needs (or Cainan or Arlington) I will go to bat for them any day.  It isn't always in my comfort zone to speak up, but I won't back down if I think something could be better.

 Tomorrow is Father's day.  Mat is the best dad in the world.  He dotes on his kids, and I am very lucky to have him.  We are celebrating with gifts and lunch where ever he wants to go (Heave help me because he loves Thai food).  And also happy Father's day to my dad, my father-in-law, and my grandfather.  All proud, strong men.  I am lucky to have them in my life.


See you on Tuesday!!

No comments: