Saturday, June 12, 2010

What Will You Do With Your Dash?

This week, two teachers in my district lost their husbands. The one gentleman was only 50 years old. The other gentleman was only 42. They died within days of each other. They were friends. Their wives were friends.

The entire district has been saddened by the lost of these two young people. It has made us all think about our lives, our families.

There is a poem called "The Dash" that I was shared with me, and I wanted to share with you.

The Dash

"I read of a man who stood to speak at the funeral of a friend.
He referred to the dates on her tombstone from the beginning.......to the end.
He noted first came the date of her birth, and spoke of the following date with tears.
But what he said mattered the most of all was the dash between those years.

For that dash represents all that time that she spent alive on earth
And now only those who loved her know what that little line is worth.

For it matters not how much we own,
The cars...the house...the cash,
What matters is how we live and love.....
And How we spend our dash.

So think about this long and hard....
Are there things you would like to change?
For you never know how much time is left
that can still be rearranged.

If we could just slow down enough
to consider what is true and real.....
And always try and understand
the way other people feel.

And be less quick to anger and show appreciation more
and love the people in our lives
Like we never loved before.

If we treat each other with respect and more often wear a smile,
Remembering that this special dash may only last a little while.

So, when your eulogy is being read, with your life's actions to rehash,
Would you be proud of the things they would say.........
About how you spent your dash?

--------------------------------------------------
I feel pretty good about how I am spending my dash so far. But I have a ton of room for improvement.

But for the most part, I am in love with my life. I look at my kids and my wonderful husband, and try and put into perspective how lucky I am. How grateful I am for my life.

I am proud of myself for fighting for Finley. For all of my kids. Making sure they have the best that I can offer them. And I don't mean material wise. I mean in love, and encouragment. And to make sure they know that I believe in them. That they are important. That they are perfect just the way they are. I want them to realize that I will always be their biggest (and loudest) advocate. That I don't take "no" very well.

I will never give up. I will always be a loud, head strong, willing participant in life. I will love everyone who is in my life with all of my heart. Friends, family, co-workers, students......everyone is worthy of my time.

I want to look back at my life, dust off my hands and say "what a ride". I want to look up to Heaven and say....."I have lived my best and I have no regrets".

That is where I want to be. That is how I want to be remembered.

So - what about you? Are you happy with who you are? Where your life has gone so far?
----------------------------------------------


A few of you asked for the answers of the flowers in the last post. So sad that there weren't any takers of the challenge!

So here are the answers!
1. Dahlia
2. Geranium (perennial variety)
3. Gaillardia (goblin) - blooms all summer - so pretty
4. Pomona Broom
5. Petunias
6. Coronation Gold Yarrow
7. Caradonna
8. Day lily
9. Japanese Maple
10. Lamb's Ear (ornamental)
11. Hydrangea (it will be a blue one!)
12. Yucca (interesting flower, huh?)
13. Mountain Laurel
14. Kent Belle (bellflower) - it blooms all summer - it is my favorite!
15. Petunias
16. Pansies



I hope you are all enjoying the weather, and having a nice weekend. Hug your loved ones. Tell them how much they mean to you and that you will always love them. No.Matter.What.

See you Tuesday.

1 comment:

The Kovalls said...

The bells were my favorite flowers, too - love them!