Saturday, August 29, 2009

Last weekend before 1st grade

And Arlington is very ready!

Wednesday she got to go to see her classroom and meet some of the other kids in her class. She was excited to meet her teacher, and see the room and some of her friends.


She has a weirdo facial expression on in the above picture - who knows why! Anyway, my parents took her because Mat and I were in Boston with Finley. I hated missing this experience with her.

Her name was on the wall:



She got a chance to play with her friend "O" for a little while. Then the teacher talked to the families and gave them just a small run down of the first week. Apparently Arlington will be having gym two days a week. Ah well. I wish it was art twice a week, but what can you do!


The room is not completely set up yet - as you see in the picture below, all of the desks are kind of close together! But the teacher has her smart board all ready to go!


We packed her new book bag.


I let her pick out a special one this year - in hopes it will last longer than a year. She wanted her name on it. For Arlington, that is always a treat since we can't find anything with her name on it just in a general store:


She got a lunch box to match. For those of you who don't know - this will be the first year for full day school for her. Kindergarten was half day - so she is excited to take a lunch box to school and eat in the cafeteria.


It didn't fit her whole name. Her mother gave her a name with 9 letters, when the cut off for most things was 8! So we got her initials instead.


She had to have a pencil box - and of course, you can't just have a boring pencil box. True to Arlington style - it needed some pizazz:


That cute pencil box was done by someone who owns an Etsy shop - isn't it great? I love it. And she has another pencil holder with her name on it.
This holder is for her "extra" supplies that she may need at school. It will reside in her bookbag. Her mother is into "overkill".

I was also able to find a store who made children's scissors with names engraved on it! These are the coolest:


She was pretty excited about these. Hey, she was told she needed supplies, but wasn't told they couldn't be awesome.


A teacher friend of mine from my school gave Arlington this student planner for her to use this year. All summer Arlington has been keeping an eye on it. It has been sitting on her desk, and she has been so desperate to use it.


She also has a bookmark for her student planner with her name on it! Of course. Would you expect any less?


So she is ready. Friday she was invited to a little "end of summer" party at a friends house, but she hasn't been feeling that great, it was cold and rainy, so we opted out. She was bummed she couldn't go, but tonight she is actually feeling worse, so I am glad we decided to skip it. I think she has had too much fun "partying" this week with all the fun stuff we have been doing, and it has finally caught up with her.

Friday was our convocation at our school and I got to spend a fun day with all of my co-workers. I didn't get as much work done as I hoped, but it was fun catching up with everyone. I got to see a few of my students who came in all excited. That was pretty fun. I will love the beginning of the school year until the novelty wears off for the kids and routine days settle in.

Arlington and I are reading the book "Savvy" right now.



I am reading it to her (because I was curious about it too) but sometimes she cheats and reads ahead. But it is about a 13 year old girl who on the 13th birthday, people in her family get their "Savvy". And this case - a power of some sort. It is a great book, and I highly recommend it.

My mom and I went to see Julie and Julia - it was a really cute. It was pretty funny too. It made me want to cook more. Well........it made me want to eat more. Mat and I saw G.I. Joe today in the theater. (his choice). It was fine. I know squat about G.I. Joe so I went for his benefit.

So that is all. Tomorrow we will be just doing final preparations for the first week of school! Stay tuned on Tuesday I will have first day pictures! Hopefully.

1 comment:

Lesa said...

Sounds like things went well while you were away.
Wish our kids could have their personal scissors. They have to bring all school supplies without their names on them and then they will be community items. Like the pencils and crayons will be in trays on their tables. Now, granted she is Kindergarten, but I wouldn't be surprised if it isn't the same for all grades. sigh
Have a good year Arlington!