Monday, December 28, 2009

Making Meals Monday

Hi all! So this week, I am having company. I didn't get to make two of the recipes last week (due to us eating way too much junk and not being hungry for large meals), so I am going to use my garlic shrimp recipe and my ham ball recipe this week while my parents are here visiting.

So this week, I am making the above two dishes, and then a pasta dish with my grandmother Appolonia's homemade pasta sauce recipe. Here is the pasta sauce recipe if you are interested in ever trying it. It is easy and SO yummy.

Spaghetti Sauce

1 tablespoon margarine
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 28 ounce can of crushed tomatoes
1 28 ounce can of tomatoe puree
sprinkle garlic powder (although, I like my sauce garlicky, so I put a bit more in than a sprinkle)
salt to taste
pepper to taste
1 tablespoon sugar
1 chicken bouillon cube
1 12 ounce can tomato paste
3 paste cans of water

- you can also add a sprinkle of basil or oregano - I don't like either, but my grandma does.

1. Melt margaine and oil in large sauce pan (large - it makes a lot)
2. Add tomatoes, garlic powder, salkt, pepper, sugar and chicken bouillon cube
3. Cook above slowly for about 20 minutes (my grandma likes to bring it to a boil, then turn it down to low)
4. Add tomatoe paste and water
5. Cook about 1 1/2 hours continuing to add water as it thickens - but not too much because you want it somewhat thick. (I personally only use about 2 cans of water instead of three)

**like I said, it makes a lot - enough for at least 2-3 meals of a 5 person family like I have. If you aren't planning on using the sauce within 1 week, then it needs to be frozen. Once you make sauce, you need to put it in containers and refridgerate if you are not going to use immediately.

**you can also make meatballs right in the sauce - they taste VERY good once cooked in the sauce! My grandma uses 1 pound ground chuck that she browns well in a pan before dropping them into the sauce. Do not put in the sauce raw!!
-------------------------------------------

We also make homemade hot chocolate at this time of the year. Here is the recipe for that as well!

French Vanilla Cocoa Mix

1 (1 pound, 10 ounce) package nonfat dry milk powder (8 measuring cups)
4 cups sifted confectioners sugar
2 (8 ounce) jars french vanilla non-dairy powdered creamer (I don't recommend getting store brand - get the good stuff for this ingredient)
1 (1 pound) package chocolate mix (Nestle Quick)
1 (11 ounce) jar non-dairy powdered creamer (Creamora)

1. In a VERY LARGE (really big - really, really big) bowl, combine all ingredients slowly. Stir until well blended
2. Store in air tight containers
3. THIS RECIPE MAKES 19 MEASURING CUPS OF COCOA!!!

This is the best hot chocolate I have ever tasted, but it makes a ton!! But it is fun and easy.
------------------------------

Next week, I will be back to work, so back on track for my weekly meals. So stay tuned!

I will probably not blog tomorrow because I don't have any pictures. we will be opening presents with my parents on Wednesday, so blog will be updated again this Wednesday! Take care!



No comments: