Saturday, December 12, 2009

The Urgency of the Season

This year, I have to say, that Christmas and all that comes with it is more important than past years. I love the season. I love decorating, and the endless Christmas songs, and the food, the tree, the lights. I could go on forever. I even love the shopping and picking out the presents for our friends and family. Each year I try to make it more special than the last. I get excited about making quilts for people who are unsuspecting. I love the charity. We sponsored a family in need as a first grade class this year, and I was glad to head that project. I love teaching my children that a big part of the holiday season is giving to those who are less fortunate than we are.

What is different this year, is the hurried feeling I feel when it comes to Finley. Even though she is physically healthy, I feel like I must hurry and show her all there is to enjoy about the holidays. I worry that next year, she may not be able to see the tree, the lights, the snow. I have signed our family up for every Christmas activity and parade that I can find so that I can ingrain in her mind the sights. I don’t want her to forget one thing.

I know that she will probably have her sight next year for Christmas. She may never lose it completely, and that would be the best gift ever. But since we don’t know what the future holds for her, I have the feeling of urgency that I cannot avoid. I am dragging my family out in freezing cold weather to make sure we don’t miss one thing. They will live. But I feel like we must do this.

This week I wanted to go to three Christmas events – a trolley ride through lights, a light festival at a local town, and our Polar Express. The only one we were able to do was Polar Express. Mother nature decided to grace us with a bad winter storm and then temperatures in the teens, so I did not feel comfortable taking the kids out in that cold of weather. I do have SOME limits. :)

On Wednesday, we didn’t have school or work (myself or the kids) so we spent the day doing art projects and enjoying each other’s company.

Finley built two little snowmen out of Floam, and made them each a cake to eat.

Her favorite thing to make out of playdough and playdough type products, is cake . She is took funny.

Arlington and her Gramma Sally made a little Christmas house. It took a long time, but they were proud of their finished product.

Thursday we didn’t go anywhere. Finley seemed to be a bit warm by bedtime Thursday night, and she woke up Friday with a low grade fever. She is coming down with a cold, which I find funny because she really hasn’t been away from our house all week.

Friday, Arlington had a playdate after school with two of her friends "O" and "M". They had a great time playing, and it took everything Finley had for her to not go to the playroom and be with her sister.

Friday night we had take out of Olive G@rden because of Finley being under the weather, and we let Arlington stay up a little late and watch "Yes Virginia, there is a Santa Claus". We also let the kids open the last of their presents from Gramma and Pappy.

And Arlington finally got to put the Angel on top of the tree.

Today was our Polar Express train ride. The kids had a great time.

Our train left at 4:15pm.

We had just re-watched the movie the other day, so it was fresh in the kids mind.

While the train rode along, they had a taped reading of the book and songs from the movie. The kids had a good time with that.

Cainan loved the train ride and enjoyed looking out of the window while we rode along.

They had a menu of sorts, but we opted for snacks (which were NOT free of charge mind you) because it was a bit early for dinner.

But they did have the chef's come out during the "Hot Chocolate" song and sing, and then all of us got hot chocolate and cookies.

Mrs. Clause came by during the ride letting all the kids know we were on our way to pick up Santa Clause and he would be getting on the train to talk to all of the kids. At one point, she sat down at our table next to my father in law, Ben.

She talked to Finley for awhile and Finley did enjoy seeing her.

Once we reached the "North Pole" (or really lame lights and a sign that read "The North Pole") Santa got on to see the kids. We sang Christmas carols while we waited for him to get to our traincar (lead by the conductor that did - just like the movie - cut out letters in our tickets).

Once Santa got to us, he stopped and talked to each child. Cainan wasn't too sure, but did not get upset. He didn't really talk to Santa, except to tell him his name.

Arlington whispered in his ear what she wanted.

Finley told Santa what she wanted as well - "a baby doll and an elephant". Okay - for those of us who know her, we know she wants a STUFFED elephant. But this Santa's eyes got a little big at a request for a 2 ton pacaderm. Honestly, in Finley's case, I wouldn't put it past her to ask for a real elephant.

The train ride lasted in total about 1 1/2 hours. The kids had a wonderful time. I would say we would probably not do it again, but it was a good experience I am glad we did. I think my in-laws also had a wonderful time as well.

We got home and the kids almost had to go straight to bed. It had been a long day and they could barely stay awake on the way home.

Santa gave them each a present of a bell. Just like in the movie/book. The little boy who is the main character gets the first present of Christmas, and he wants a bell from Santa's reindeer. Because in the beginning of the story he doesn't believe in Santa, he can't hear the bell ring. Then in the end - he states his belief in Santa, and the bell can be heard.

The kids loved getting this bell. It was fun to watch them because of how much they believe in the magic of Santa. Arlington wonders why the bell sounds would ever fade (as the book states) because why wouldn't you ever believe? Good point.

Tonight I hope Finley ingrained the picture of Santa in her mind. I hope she will never forget how he looks and how she feels when she sees him. So that if next year, if she can't, she can remember the man behind the magic.

See you Tuesday.

2 comments:

The Kovalls said...

Great pictures!

Jen - I just have to believe that we will continue to be blessed and that Finley will never ever not see anything. In the meantime, I will love to be a part of showing her everything I can!

Cat said...

You made me cry! So sweet to share the world with the kiddos. Carry on!