Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Countdown to the BBQ

Whether you like it or not I am going to put up a blog post every day this week.  I will try my best to include pictures for the grandparent's sake.

 Saturday the 17th is the BBQ for the Foundation Fighting Blindness.  We have about 90 people so far that have RSVP'd coming!  And others who have been donating to the foundation because they can't make it.  We are totally humbled that you would give to this wonderful foundation on Finley's behalf.  Please note that every donation - large and small - means the world to us.  And all of you who have been fundraising, getting ready to fundraise, and getting the word out about Finley - we are deeply humbled for your love and devotion for her.  We know that a cure will come in her life time.  And thanks to all the wonderful people out there, we thank you.

 The one story I must share comes from a neighbor of my parents.  She had gotten a Finley's Fighters car magnet, and someone asked her about it.  A stranger.  She told this person about Finley and about the cause.  And he gave her a donation.  Just.like.that.  This person doesn't know us at all.  But his heart was big and so he gave on behalf of our Finley.  I will never forget that story.  Ever.  That whole pay it forward - wanting nothing in return - floors me every time.

 I want to make sure that everyone understands that EVERY penny raised goes to the Foundation Fighting Blindness to fund research for retinal diseases.  None comes to our family and FFB is a non-profit organization.  I know you probably aren't questioning any of this, but just so you know - Finley is one of many children that will have their sight saved by people who donate to FFB.  Every little bit counts.

 So sign up to come to the BBQ.  We are going to have a great time!  We have coloring booklets for the kids.  We have face painting and balloon animals.  We have hula hoops!  We will probably come up with more games for the kids.

 We are giving away bookmarks (with our Finley Fighters logo) which I will braille your name on if you would like.  Our brailler and I are becoming BFF.

 We will have magnets to give you with our Finley Fighter logo.  We have a prize to give away!  We are having great food!  We will have some background music.

 And we will have information on Finley's LCA, LCA in general, and the Foundation.  You can ask any questions you would like.  Mat is a geneticist, so he will be able to answer questions about her genetic disorder.

 (she is dancing to The Music Man)

And most of all - we hope you come for the fellowship.  We look forward to talking and visiting with all of you.  We hope that you leave the BBQ realizing how much we love all of you and are grateful for you love of Finley.


We plan on making this an annual event, so if you missed it this year, it will be bigger and better next year!!



------------------------------------

Update on our happenings.  Finley had her third horse back riding lesson today.  She did great.  She even got to trot a little, and she thought it was fun going "very fast".

Arlington has a very loose top front tooth.  She looks like "Nanny McPhee" - it sticks out a bit becuase it is so loose and hanging low.  Yet - it will not give up.  Mat and I have both tried to (gently) pull it, but no luck. She is very frustrated.


Cainan jumped on a trampoline for the very first time today.  He was so excited once he realized he wouldn't die from the experience.  He and Arlington jumped on it for about 30 minutes - giggling to whole time.  I wish I had my camera.


We are having a mole problem.  Outdoors. Yesterday "Critter Cop" came by and went through our yard and set traps for the little buggers.  He wasn't cheap, but neither was the large excavating project and amount of plants we have in our yard.  We would like to keep those thank you very much.

I went to work for a few hours today.  I have to do some extra time over the summer - but on my terms.  It isn't so bad.  I took the kids.  They watched a video while I gathered the newest incoming kindergarten physicals.  I rewarded them afterwards and we went to the playground for an hour.

I am loving my new photo "fixing" program - Lightroom.  I ordered a book on how to use it and it came today, so I can't wait to peruse it and find neat things to do with the pictures.  Next on my wish list is Photoshop and a new camera!!  (in that order).

Arlington has been riding her new bike this week.  She loves it!  It has Skeleanimals on it.  And of course - it is pink.


 I will post more bike pictures tomorrow.

Finley got her new indoor sunglasses this week.

She has been really good about leaving them on.  She did tell me she "sees fine" and doesn't need them.  It is hard to explain to a 4 year old that they aren't those kind of glasses.

She will wear them indoors to help decrease the amount of light her eyes take in.

Outside, and in really bright areas, she will wear just regular sunglasses.

She looks very cute, but they are just another reminder to us of why we are fighting so hard.  We would like to be able to throw those things away, say goodbye to BESB, and say so long to the ever frightening Dr. Fulton.  And we know we will!!



Okay - so you will see me tomorrow!!  Aren't you excited?  But please RSVP for the BBQ!  We can't wait to see you!



No comments: