Friday, February 7, 2014

Mat's 40th Birthday and an 11th year

Today - Mat turned 40.

It is kind of hard to believe.  I feel like yesterday we were celebrating 20.  Or at least 30.  How can the boy I met when he was 16 be 40 years old?  We are not old, we are not old, we are not old.

We had a great time decorating the house for him the night before his birthday.  He woke up to reminders all over the house.








The kids and I got him some presents as did his family and my family, so he opened those up Friday night.  Then we went to dinner at one of his favorite restaurants.



 Hugs for all of his children.

Saturday we had a party for him with our neighbors.  We have become close to three families in our neighborhood, and so they came over the help him be reminded that he is old.



I didn't remember to take pictures once the people were here, and that is very sad.  But it isn't because I am old!  No.  It is because I am forgetful.

A great birthday for a great guy.  Here is to another 40 years plus!

A day of amazing memories also comes with sadness this time every year.  My beloved Godbrother, Matt, was killed on this day 11 years ago in a car accident.  I don't go one day where I don't think about him, talk to him, ask him for help from above.  I know he is up there watching over at us.  And probably having a good laugh that Mat has turned 40.

I so wish every day that my kids could have known him.  That he could have met his beautiful nieces and nephews.  That he could have had a family of his own.  It just isn't fair.

He is never far from my mind and never out of my heart.  I wish every day that he was here with us.  This day I hold tight to my God family and wish them peace.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

2/10/14

Happy birthday!

Anonymous said...

February 14, 2014

Happy Valentines day!