Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Poor Finley

Our littlest one is ill. I am afraid the diarrhea and vomiting that Arlington had over the weekend has caught on to our little Finley. She had to come home early today from daycare today it was so bad. Poor baby! Mat was able to leave work early today, so I didn't have to. She is still having it this evening, so it looks like she won't be going to school tomorrow either. I am the lucky one to stay home with her tomorrow. Arlington and Cainan will still be going to school, though. No need keeping them around a sick baby! Especially Cainan who hasn't gotten it. Let's hope he doesn't. Or the rest of us, for that matter! Finley is acting fine - still her silly self. But she has had many diapers today that have been less than desirable! Sigh.

Other than that, things are good. Yesterday I went out to dinner with the other nurses in my district. It was a lot of fun! We chatted for about 2 hours at a yummy Italian restaurant and had a great time. We did talk a few minutes about work related stuff (chuckle chuckle) but mostly it was chatter. We are hoping to be able to get together on a regular basis. It is great to have such a support system in our school. Again, these towns are VERY different than what I am used to. Everyone is NICE to each other - what a concept! I love it, but I it never ceases to surprise me that someone doesn't just walk passed me and duck their head so they don't have to talk. Even me, who is USED to this terrible behavior, have had to come out of my shell to make eye contact and say a warm hello - even if I am the first to respond. It has been great.

Anyway, tonight was my first PTO meeting. It was from 7-9pm!! It was long, but fun. I learned a lot about our new school, and am excited about the programs that our school offers, even being a small school (around 500 kids grades K-8). I really want to be involved in the kid's school, and hoping I get some opportunitites even though I am working full time. The meeting was insightful and I got to meet some new people, which is always great.

Oh, and I got asked by one of the teachers to join her on an outing to see
Jersey Boys (the musical) in Hartford! A couple of teachers are going and she asked me to go too! I was thrilled. She is around my age, so I was hoping we would get to be social outside of school, and I am getting my chance! So I am excited and can't wait to go!

Cainan had his first speech therapy today. It went really well and the speech therapist was very pleased with his responses. His wonderful daycare teachers are eager to participate and continue his goals in between the time the therapist sees him, and that was very promising. The school has a copy of his goals, and will be working with him daily to help him complete those goals. Today at school the teacher told me he said "where is Nathaniel". Can you believe???? A little boy that has a hard time stringing more than 2 words together said this sentence! We were very happy.

Arlington is doing well. I have discovered, though, that she seems to like the nurse. The woman gave her stickers the first time she saw her, and she has been back there again! Today she went down because she said her belly hurt again. The nurse called and said she was there again with a belly ache. I think that Arlington is on the tail end of her illness, and she and I had to have a discussion that the school nurse is REALLY for emergencies or if she is feeling REALLY, REALLY bad. I don't want her to become a frequent visitor to the office! It is a fine line. I want her to go if she needs to, but I don't want her there for minor things that I think she can deal with in class. It is VERY important to me that she stay in class and learn and not think that every little thing at a time she might be feeling a little bored, or distracted, calls for a visit to the nurse for something to do. So hopefully drilling that into her over the next couple of days will work! Nice mom/nurse I am right????

Here are just a few pictures I took of the kids in their pjs. I am not good with pictures on Tuesday! Enjoy!

No comments: