Thursday, September 11, 2008

September 11th

Today we remember one of the worst days in our history. 7 years ago today thousands of people lost their lives and 1000's were seriously injured. I remember where I was. I was working at the Hopkins Children's hospital in Baltimore. We were close to Washington DC, so when everything started happening, they locked down our hospital and we weren't allowed to leave. We were prepared to get many injuries to find that most people had perished. It was a hard day. Hard to watch on TV and do nothing. Hard to shield the kids from what was happening. I look back now and see that this has made a lot of country become a country of fear. The airports are so different. The way we view people is different.

I give a blessing for all the wonderful people in my life on this day (as well as every other!) and remember how lucky I am. I am very blessed for my husband and children and my family and friends. I don't want my children to grow up in fear, but in love. I want them to learn that basically, people are good - sometimes you just have to look a little harder. I hope my children's world is always filled with love for each other and not hate. It has to start with me and Mat. I know that if we teach them right, hate will not prevail.

No comments: