Saturday, May 1, 2010

When there is a full moon, I am calling in sick

This week at work took the cake. It really did. I love my job through and through, but some days, I can't do anything but shake my head in disbelief.

While I will not share the specifics (sorry - can't this time), I will tell you that I am sad to know that children carry a lot of weight on their shoulders. Even at an elementary school age. If your child is exhibiting anxiety about school, or friends, or life in general - don't ignore it. Those "stomach aches" may be a cry for help. Never ignore your child's social/emotional well being and think it is a stage or something they will grow out of. It could be something bigger, so seek help.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Arlington had another softball game this week. Actually she had two. She is really enjoying it, but we need to practice her swing. Last year, she would swing at anything. This year, she seems afraid of the ball. Because it is bigger? Yellow? Who knows. But we are going to spend some time this weekend working on her hitting. She is GREAT at catching the ball and throwing. She has quite the arm. And she makes a great catcher (although seeing her in all of the equipment is hilarious). I am glad she is enjoying it. Even if Tuesday's high was 45 degrees and we were frozen solid for 2 hours watching her play.
Arlington had her last after school gymnastics class this past week as well. She loved going to that, but has decided to try another after school program. She chose jewelry making for the next 4 weeks. It starts this coming week, and will be the last after school class until next year.

Wednesday Arlington went on her first school field trip. They have been studying Dinosaurs, so they went to the museum for the day. All three first grade classes went and were gone for the entire school day. She had a blast. She was up bright and early on Wednesday - excited and ready to go. I am so glad they took this field trip.

Thursday - we won't talk about. Ever.

(this is where Finley now sits to watch TV)

Friday - we had to take Mat's car to the shop. It has been acting up - the fan running after we turned the car off, and that has been draining the battery. While S.ears was not able to find anything wrong with it, they did repair "other" problems his car has. His car is......crap. It really is. No other word for it. But it just has to survive another year or so, and then we are going to replace it.

Friday Arlington had a chance to play with her friend "B" after school and I got to visit with his mom. I am so glad that we have become friends. She is sweet and caring, and genuine. She gave me a chance to talk about Finley and everything that is going on with her, and then move on and catch up on gossip. Athena is one of a kind, and I am so lucky to have her as a friend. I have made some really great friends here in our new hometown, and I am truly grateful for all of them.

Today started with getting up early to take Mat's car to ANOTHER shop. This time, they think they have found the problem. And the part is only $13. I found that funny. Something that was draining the car battery on a daily basis cost $13. I was glad to hear that it was something cheap.

After we dropped off the car, we took Arlington to her first spring soccer practice. I was grateful that softball practice wasn't also today - they canceled that for today since we had two games this week. She had a good time at soccer. I forgot my camera. Again. So I will take pictures next time.
After practice we did yard work and the kids played outside and got nice and dirty. Their favorite - the sand box - was ready to go, so they spent almost all of their time in there.

(this picture of Finley - she looks completely crazed.)
This evening I am taking Arlington to "Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat" at the high school in my district. I am sure it will be good. I like being able to take her to the high school productions.

So that is it! I will see you for Making Meals Monday! Don't forget to sign up to walk with us! Come to the BBQ! Get a T-shirt!! Help us find that cure!!

No comments: