Saturday, September 10, 2011

The importance of memories

In the wake of 9/11, many families are recounting their memories of the loved ones they have lost.  It is the memories that will always keep them alive.  The stories of the people they loved passed on to their children who can pass them on to their children, and so on.

Mat and I are suckers for family heirlooms.  Hanging in our living room, we have a collection of old family pictures all the way back to great, great, great grandparents.  We keep a running history of our family dating back to the early 1800s.  We have countless stories told to us by our grandparents that we have kept careful history of.

We have many wonderful pieces in our house that have been given to us from family members.

This rocker and quilt:
The rocker was my great-grandmother Appolonia's.  She got it when my grandmother Bonnie was growing up and my grandma passed it to me.  Mat and I and my dad re-finished it before Arlington was born, and restored it to its original glory.

That rocker is SOLID.  I rocked all three of my kids in it.  We have had it in our homes all over the country for the last 10 years and it just as beautiful as the day my grandmother gave it to me.

The quilt that I hung on the rocker was my Nanny's.  She made it and I was very happy that my Aunt Sally let me have it when she died.  It still smells like her.  I love having the rocker with the quilt together - two great memories from two great people.  Every time I walk by them, I think of them.

This Sewing table/machine and sewing box:
These belonged to Mat's grandmother Lyday.  I was so excited when Mat's mom gave them to me after she passed away.  She knows I love to sew and quilt, and I have used both of these quite often.  The sewing box is amazing - I love it.  My kids love going through it, looking for treasures.  And the sewing machine is amazing - they don't make them like this anymore.  I have found a special place in my new sewing room for both of these, and I get to enjoy seeing them everyday.

This desk:
Was Mat's mom's when she was a little girl.  When we first got it, it was full of notes from her childhood and had her handwriting inside the top drawer.  It now belongs to Arlington.  Arlington loves this little desk.  She had filled it with her own notes and favorite items.

This desk:
This is my desk from when I was a kid.  The last time I was home, I asked my mom if I could have it.  My dad had stained it to match all of the furniture in my room and now it sits in Finley's room.  Finley thinks she is such a big girl sitting there coloring.  It is fun watching her.  What is NOT fun is thinking about how many hours I sat there studying as a kid.....

Moving on.

We have many more treasures, and I will share more with you in the future.  But tonight, I was just feeling nostalgic.

No comments: