Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Kindergarten Parent Night

Tonight's post is going to be quick because I was away tonight.  Sorry - no pictures either.  I know you are bummed. (Gigi).

Anyway - tonight was Kindergarten Parent night at the little's school.  I did actually meet some other parents.  People are really friendly here and just walk up to you and introduce themselves and talk to you.  It is nice.  I am getting better about being more forward like that.

We got to hear from the principal about the cirriculum and then the classroom teachers.  I did not realize we would be seeing the teachers at the SAME time - Mat didn't go.  In Salem, they repeated themselves.  Two half hours, same information.  That gives us parents, who have more than one, a chance to listen to whole presentations.  I just assumed it was like that everywhere, so Mat stayed home with the kids.

But, it wasn't, so I split myself the best I could.  I have met and spent time with Finley's teacher, so I spent more time in Cainan's classroom.  It was nice to hear what they were doing and it seems like he is really liking school.  He did have one "Cainan moment" (that is a story for another day) the second day of school, but we talked and he is doing well now.  If you know Cainan, it was NOT a behavior issue.  He has learning needs.  But he is making friends and hanging in there.

I did have a chance to go into Finley's classroom and speak to her 1:1 aide.  They are loving her and Finley is doing great.  The room is well marked, well labeled, and well laid out, so she is getting around well.  Their biggest focus for her this year is social.  Finley can be a bit of a loner, and doesn't always look people in the eye (she isn't always sure where to look), so they are pushing that a bit.  So far it is going well.  She has made two little friends and that is so nice to hear.  We are off to a good start.

It really is a great school.  I love both of their teachers.  Finley's teacher is easy going, sweet, and really funny.  Cainan's teacher is young, energetic and very schedule oriented.  They are perfect fits for my kids.

Today Cainan also had his first "trial" class of Karate.  We wanted him to start that up again because he did really like it.  But it wasn't a good fit.  The class was boring and he was not enjoying it.  So, we won't be returning.  We will be looking for another Karate school.  Hopefully we will be as lucky as we were in Salem.

No comments: