Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Biweekly update

Okay - so now that not much is happening as often,I am going to update twice a week - hopefully on Tuesdays and Saturdays (for all of you faithful readers!)

Here is what has been happening
Sunday -church. Went better this time! Cainan didn't cry and seemed to have a good time in Sunday school. We went out to lunch as a family. We haven't done that since before Cainan's surgery, but now that he is on a regular diet, we went out. We had a good time and everyone behaved themselves. It is kind of a circus getting two highchairs while we are out, but we manage. Luckily Arlington can entertain herself with crayons! And the babies are kept happy as long as they can keep snacking.

Monday - Finley had her blood drawn. Not fun. She had to be stuck twice - the first time they bruised her immediately and didn't get any blood. But the second one worked. She cried, but didn't move, which made it go faster. We had to wait 2 hours, though, to get her blood drawn. But Finley entertained all the people in the waiting room and was a really good girl while we waited. Arlington and Cainan went to school for half the day and I picked them up before lunch and brought them home. The rest of the day was uneventful!

Tuesday - Finley had her urine catheterization done this morning. Even less fun than the blood draw. She was really upset, but they got what they needed. And she was weighed and we were happy to report that she has gained 1 pound in about 2 weeks! Yeah! She is now up to 19 pounds, 9 ounces. Let's hope she stays well and stays that weight. We are to continue the fatty diet until we get her over 20 pounds and back on the chart! Hopefully all the blood and urine tests will come back normal and it was just a virus that was causing her weight loss. Poor baby - let's hope so.
Cainan also had his helmet appointment today, so after Finley had her test, she went to school for the day with Arlington. Cainan and I had to go to Fort Lauderdale. These days I don't look forward to because it takes about 5 hours from start to finish. First, Ft. Lauderdale is about 1 1/2 hours away. Then we wait for about 1 1/2 hours before we are even seen, a half an hour for her to look at his helmet, shave it and adjust it, and then 1 1/2 hours back home. So from 12:30-5:30 was tied up for that. Isn't that crazy? We had to go every two weeks, but today got the good news that we can now go every 3 weeks! Yeah! We see her one more time on the 30th of this month (two weeks from now), and then not again until the 20th of November. Yahoo!!! That will help. Since he is older and he isn't growing as fast as young babies (who are the general people who get these helmets) she doesn't need to see him. BUT the even better news is that the helmet seems to be working. The helmet person saw some definite rounding in his head! We noticed it too. He is looking great!
I also ran into Dr. Stelnicki (helmet place is part of his office) and asked him if we are to start massaging Cainan's scar. He said yes - three times a day. See, after the cleft surgery, once it is healed, we have to massage the scar area to get it to relax and to make it less noticable. We have noticed that the scar has been pulling his lip up in that area a little. He is starting to look like Elvis. Massaging the scar will help that. We have to apply hard pressure to the knot that is in it (feels like a little stone) to massage that out. We did it the first time tonight, and let me tell you - he screamed his head off!!! He doesn't really like to have his lip and nose touched - can you blame him? He was SO mad at us afterward - he wouldn't even look at us, and didn't want me to hold him. I feel so bad, but it has to be done. We also have to rub vitamin E on it. Ugh.

As for Cainan - he has been becoming more and more cuddly with us. It has been a break through the last couple of days. Before we would hold him, but after awhile, he just wanted down. Now, the last couple of days, he has been laying his head on our shoulder and hugging us when he is upset or just wants to be held. It is so nice, and will really help us bond with him. We are really pleased! And he is saying "hi" now. And babbling a lot more, and putting his hands in his mouth, and doing general baby things. It is nice to see.

Arlington is doing fine! Loved decorating a pumpking this week and can't wait to get the big one that we will carve. She is still deciding on what she wants to be for Halloween and has it narrowed down to Tinkerbell or Supergirl. She is sick right now. For a girl who hasn't been sick in a long time, she has had two colds in a row. I think she is just worn down. This is the first time she has gone to school 5 days a week, so she is adjusting. She is just tired and running a low fever. She is staying home from school tomorrow to rest.

Enjoy some pictures

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks a bunch,Jen, for the update. I bring up the blog everyday and read it just in case I missed something, which I never do. I especially love looking at the pictures over and over. Jimmy and Cindy are in Alabama with their kids, and they are also talking about the jack-o lantern,carving etc. I always hated the "yuck". Nanny