Tuesday, November 9, 2010

A Bit of Randomness

I have a meeting tonight at our kid's school, so unfortunately, I don't have time for a big post.  So I will just fill you in on the recent tidbits.  Aren't you excited?  I know you are.  Admit it.

Arlington has failed her school hearing test three times.  You know, because we didn't have enough on our plate, we now have to take her to the ENT.  I am confident it is something minor - she doesn't show any trouble hearing us (especially when we don't want her to), and she is doing fine in school.  No one in our family has notice problems, so my guess is - she has fluid in her ears and it is making the sounds that are soft, harder to hear.  She will go to the pediatrician on Thursday to get her flu shot and we will have the pediatrician check her, and then we go to the ENT next Tuesday for a full hearing exam.  Fun.times.

Finley will be doing her third stint as a make shift Kindergartener next Tuesday as well.  She loves going.  It really has been beneficial to get her ready for next year, and the principal would like to see her start to come twice a month after the holidays.  We are hoping to try some afternoon Kindergarten classes so that we can see how tired her eyes are by that time.  I am still holding firm to Cainan needing to be in AM Kindergarten (because by 2pm that kid is STILL wanting to take a nap), and them being separated, but only time will tell if that is what our final decision will be.

Yesterday I presented to the High School in my district (where I work) because we were nominated for their holiday telethon.  There were 12 different non-profits nominated, and we are in the top two.  So I had to present to two different (large) groups of kids about Finley and our efforts and our non-profit.  I did well - I held it together, even when some of the girls got teary.  That was a first for me.  I just kept sweeping the room as I talked, and that helped.  The kids asked a lot of good questions, and it was fun to get information out about our cause.  We are hopeful we get the top spot and are the benefactors this year, but if not, that is okay too.  We will probably know sometime next week, so keep your fingers crossed.  This could be big for our RDH12 Fund.

Mat has updated the Finley's Fighters website a bit.  He put some totals of our money made for the RDH12 Fund so far, so take a look HERE.  I am going to be making slide shows of the most recent events that took place, and putting those on the picture's pages.  Remember - if you have pictures of yourselves or your family members in your Finley's Fighters shirts or wrist bands, send them our way!  We want to feature you on the website.

Cainan is doing well.  He is making great strides with his enrichment class, and we have seen some improvements.  His memory still seems to be a big issue, but it is better.  Sometimes he surprises us with what he can remember.  He is still the best behaved, funny boy.  He is really enjoying preschool this year and has made some wonderful friends.  I am anxious to see how he does next year in Kindergarten.  For now - he is holding his own.  The other day in church he was pretending his crayon was a rocket ship, instead of coloring.  Such a boy.

Tonight I am going to my town meeting which is where our school building committee will present their recommendations to the Board of Selectman (for all of you city folks, that is like the mayor and his clan - ha!).  I am not hopeful because I have not liked what I have heard so far, but I am hoping to refrain from having to call the ADA in to get Finley what she needs next year.  The school itself has been VERY cooperative and willing to do whatever is necessary for Finley.  However, they need the funds from the town, which is proving to be much more difficult.  So, I am missing my favorite show Glee, to once again go and listen to the same story and give my same comments, and just make them aware that I still haven't gone away.  And I am not alone - I have a lot of mommies behind me on this one, so we are going to gether as usual.  I am grateful, especially, for my friends Athena, Michelle G, Tammy, and Mona who have stood with me and beside me during these last 6 months. 

I know a lot of people don't think that a small group can make a difference, so "why bother".  But what if everyone had that attitude?  What if, after we got Finley's diagnosis, we said "well, there probably isn't anything we can do, so why bother?" and just let fate be fate?  I don't know about you, but that would be about the lamest thing ever.  Would you really sit by just because you THOUGHT no change would happen?  That is what my biggest problem is with our town.  Many people have the attitude that "why bother" because they don't think they will make a difference.  When in actuality, I would have rathered give 110% and STILL lose, but know in my heart that I would never have done it any other way.  I can always say to my kids "I gave my all to make your school the best it could be."  And I can always say to Finley, "we did everything we can to save your sight".  No matter what the outcome is, if we just lie down and don't fight for what we want, then what have we gained?  Nothing.

If there is change you want to see happen in your school, with your children, in your life, go get it.  Don't assume that someone else is going to pave the way.  Don't be afraid to be the pioneer, the big mouth, the leader.  I have never been anything but, and I am not ashamed of it.  I know what I want, and I will try my hardest to get it.  And even if I fail, I can't say I didn't do anything in the first place.

See you Saturday

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are your mother's daughter and we are so proud of you- love Mom and Dad