Wednesday, October 21, 2009

The Ghost said "Boo!"

Poor Cainan.

Last night at 3am, Cainan decided to make a visit to the bedroom. He gets up early, but early for him is 6am.

Not 3am.

I was going to be really upset if he thought it was time to get up and he was all done sleeping for the night.

But that wasn't the case. He had seen a ghost, he tells me. He is in full body shakes - not crying yet, but then he starts. Wailing at the top of his lungs "there was a ghost in my room! And it said BOO!"

??????

Poor guy - he is shaking so bad. Now, I am mumbling under my breath "way to go Arlington" who has be telling the babies ghost stories (which are not scary, but she thinks they are). I think the poor boy was dreaming.

So he calms down, and I try to get him back to bed. I turn on his light so he can see that there is nothing in his room, and he points to his lighted ceiling fan and says "see the ghost eyes right there?" (pointing to the light bulbs) He was really convinced!

So I put a night light in his room, and he did agree to stay in there.

My parents said he talked about it ALL day - they spent the day convincing him they were not real.
At dinner he wanted to know if Papa would sleep in his room. Poor boy.

So tonight, he went to bed, and I put the night light on. The kid who only sleeps in the dark wanted a night light. He was FROZEN in place in the bed. I told him over and over that he was safe in there, but I don't think he bought it. So we will see how it goes.

We are having a good week. Sunday my cousin Alissa came in to keep us company and spend the night. We spent the day baking and she taught the kids a few songs.

They danced and had a great time!

She brought her dog Otis, and all three kids enjoyed his company. And he enjoyed a comfy blanket spot on our couch.

Monday she went home and my parents arrived for the week. My dad and mom took the kids outside on Tuesday to blow the leaves out of the yard.

Finley and Cainan had a good time walking through the leaves.

The deer had eaten my beautiful mums.

Can you believe those stupid deer had the nerve to basically come up the stairs of our front sidewalk to eat those flowers.

The work week has been interesting. I had another case of lice and I completed the third grade handwashing classes and eye and ear screenings. So two grades down - 3 to go! I can't wait to be finished. This is my least favorite part of my job - the screenings. The class is fun. The screening are slow torture. Although I usually discover at least 10 kids who need glasses or new glasses, so that is good.

I had a little girl come into my office yesterday who said there was a little dirt next to her circle time mat, and when she looked at it, it would make her cough.

Huh. Well.......don't look at it. She told me she couldn't help it. What a weirdo.

Arlington has started getting "alternate" homework because she knows the weekly words (and can spell and everything) so that has been nice to see. She has been enjoying it. Today's homework was a book about snakes and a project with that, and that was a bit gross. But whatever. That girl was fascinated by the story. She picked out a rubber snake the last time we were at the store which has become a favorite toy.

That is about it. We are looking forward to our VisionWalk on Saturday. We appreciate all the donations and have passed $3200 in donations from all of our wonderful family, friends, collegues, etc. We are extremely grateful for all the support we have received through this. If you still would like to donate, you can click on the words below and it will take you to the site. Thanks for all of your help! We will take a lot of pictures to share.
VISION WALK

Finley's future vision teacher came to the house today and spent some time with us. She wanted to meet Finley and talk to us a little about what we were seeing and give us a few suggestions to work with. She left Finley a pair of sunglasses to wear outside, a couple of books, and a fun kit of all kinds of toys with different textures. She was in love. She got to see how Finley looks at books, and how she tracks toys, and how she gets around. She could see where her trouble was and was very impressed with how aware Finley was of her deficit and how she has accommodated for her deficit. She said she was very smart! Always good to hear. She will make a call to our local elementary school to introduce herself and basically tell them that Finley will be coming soon and that she will be needed an IEP and accomodations. She is going to be an awesome advocate. She was pro Braille, and pro keeping an open mind to watching what was to come. It is nice to have someone to bounce "dumb" questions off of.

FYI - I understand there is some confusion about how to post a comment if you don't have a blog or a Google Account. Here are the steps:
1 - go to the bottom of this post and click on the word "Comments"
2 - when the page comes up, type a message into the little box on the right. PLEASE REMEMBER TO SIGN YOUR NAME.
3- scrolls down under the box and you will see the choice "Anonymous". Pick this and click "Publish Your Comment" (big orange bar)
4- your comment will appear on the left.

So try it! We understand we have a lot of readers and we don't hear from any of you!! Leave us a comment so we know you were here! We would love to hear from you.

That's it - I will see you Saturday!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

We are excited about VisionWalk!

Anonymous said...

Poor Cainan

Kirsten said...

The Broadway Company of Shrek the Musical will be making a donation to Vision Walk!! I'm going to collect until Thursday and make the donation on Friday morning... YAY!!

And tell Cainan I get scared of ghosts too.

xoxo
Kirsten

Anonymous said...

We will be thinking of all of you on Saturday. Have a great time at the Vision Walk.
We love you all,
Bill and Andrea

Anonymous said...

Hi Jennifer! This is your cousin Dave. It's been many years! My Mom (Deb) emailed me about Finley. Long story short: I found your blog...What a beautiful family! I'm 30 mi. west of Boston with my wife and two kids...would have joined you in the walk, but we'll be in Vermont this weekend. A great cause, and little Finley (and her parents and sibs) are in our prayers.

Anonymous said...

Checking to see if this works.

Anonymous said...

Well, I'll be - it does work. We have followed your blog since Mat's trip to get Cainan. But we have been tremendously concerned about Finley. We are praying as is our church family. Please keep us posted.