Sunday, January 20, 2013

My Liebster Award Post

Here goes my post!  Thank you - Amber and Max for the award!

The rules for the acceptance are:
1) Visit and thank the blogger who nominated you
2) Acknowledge that blogger on your blog and link back
3) Answer the 10 questions posed by the blogger who nominated you
4 ) Select 3 – 5 bloggers for the award
5) Pose 10 new questions to the new nominees
6) Post the award on your blog 

So, here are my answers to the questions posed by Amber and Max

1. What is the reason you started blogging?
       We originally started blogging when we adopted our son, Cainan in 2007.  We felt this would be the easiest way for Mat to tell us what was happening over in China and post pictures of our new little man.  When we returned home, we decided to keep the blog going to use as a memory book for him and for the girls.  Because we have never lived within 600 miles of family since we had children, it has become the perfect way to keep in contact with everyone.
 
2. What is the most surprising thing that has happened to you since you began blogging?
       I actually have followers!  People who actually come and read about our life.  And since Finley was diagnosed with Lebers Congenital Amaurosis (LCA) we have gained so much support through the blog.
 
3. What is your proudest moment?
        Starting our foundation.  We were so lost when Finley was diagnosed.  We just wondered around the internet soaking up information, and becoming deeper and deeper aware that nothing was being done for a cure for LCA RDH12.  We started having fundraisers, and the next thing I know, we are an actual 501(c)3 and 2 1/2 years into being a foundation we have raised $800,000 for research.  That makes me proud every time I say it.  We were told we could never do this as a "group of parents" - that we would have to wait for the "big boys" to catch up and fund this for us.  We showed them.
 
4. What do you find to be the toughest thing about dealing with a child that has a special need?
          Not knowing what her future will hold.  Finley is a full time job.  I am constantly on high alert when we are out to make sure she isn't getting hurt.  She needs help with everything - eating, dressing, homework, daily tasks.  Sometimes I just look at her and sigh.
 
5. What do you find to be the best thing about dealing with a child with a special need?
        How much she has taught us.  As "needy" as she is, she is twice as strong.  I am her mother, so I constantly worry, but Finley has shown us how full her life is.  She is happy, smart, healthy, and silly.  I can't imagine her being any other way.  This is the hand she was dealt, and she is choosing to not let it run her life.
  
6. What is your "lazy rainy day" to go plan?
        This is a funny one!  I wish I had lazy days.  While the kids are in school, I work on the foundation or work around the house.  Or volunteer.  But when we are all home, and all together, we make time to watch movies together.  Or we order pizza and put on some music and the kids dance around.  
 
7. You're a superhero, so what's your name and what's your special power?
       Hmmmm.  I would want to be Storm.  I know - that name is already taken.  I want her powers.  Maybe I could be Cyclone?  This is how my life is anyway!  I make noise where ever I go.  I am easy to get excited - especially when it comes to Finley.  Or politics.
 
8. What's your most used phrase, either in your blog, your head, to your kids...?
       I say "Awesome" way to much.  "Are you flippin' kidding me" comes out of my mouth way too often.  To the kids? "stop bothering each other".  
 
9. Do you live by any motto or philosophy?
       Life is 10% of what happens to you and 90% how you deal with it.  My motto for sure.  No one lays down and does nothing for their child.  This is the hand we were dealt.  And we are dealing with it by making sure her life is the best it can be.

The Three blogs I choose are:

          - Jennifer and I became friends when Finley was first diagnosed.  She is a powerful person both in soul and in life.  You will never meet a stronger mama than this one.  You have to read her blog, and meet her family.  She is such a mover for LCA and her son - go check her out.  You will be blown away. 

          -Another family of movers and shakers.  Liam has Oculocutaneous Albinism.  She also runs Liam's Project   to help families who are going through what her family is going through.  She is an amazing mama, and I am so glad we met.  We are lucky to have such support in our community of blindness.
       This mama is a wonderful resource.  I have learned so much from her.  Her daughter, Abby, has Lebers Hereditary Optic Neuropathy - DIFFERENT Lebers than Finley (although I think it might be named after the same man.....).  I cherish her blog post.  Her daughter is slightly older than Finley so I love reading about what accessibility items her daughter uses.  She is an amazing advocate for her daughter, and a force to be reckoned with.  Like all three of my mama's I chose for this award!
Never underestimate the power of a parent.

My 10 questions for them to answer

1. When you first got your child's diagnosis - what was your immediate reaction?
2. Why did you start blogging?
3. What is the best thing you have learned since your child was diagnosed?
4. What are you proudest of?
5. Do you have any regrets?
6. What would you say to a new parent that just was told their child was blind/going blind?
7. How do you balance family life and life with a child with special needs?
8. On a down day - what is your favorite activity?
9. What scares you the most?
10. Do you have a favorite motto or saying?

Have fun!
 

 



4 comments:

Penny said...

Thank for the nomination. I am in and will do my post tomorrow. Thank you and thank you for the sweet words too.

Anonymous said...


jan 20, 2013

I loved this post because it truely reflects what you are for your children, a great mom. Happy days for Finley and your family!

Have a wonderful day,
Shayla Kay

Amy Atkinson said...

Thank you for the nomination Jennifer!!! This is so neat and I had so much fun participating!! I've posted my reply and nominations on the blog!

Amy Atkinson said...

Thanks for the nomination Jennifer!! I just loved participating in this, it's so neat! I've posted my answers and nominations on my blog!