Monday, February 1, 2010

Making Meals Monday

This week I am adding just two meals since I didn't get a chance to make the candied salmon from last week. So here are the other two things I am trying this week:

Okay - so we are having shrimp. I am just going to cook them with probably a little garlic on the stove. But I am going to make this sauce. I found the Benihana shrimp sauce on line. I hope I can come close. That stuff is amazingly good. I understand the trick is - to let it sit overnight. There are two different versions - not sure which one I am going to try.

This is the one that seems to be direcly from Benihana:

2 cups mayonnaise
1/2 cup water
1 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 Tablespoon garlic juice
3 to 4 teaspoons ketchup
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon hot sauce
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon paprika
3/4 teaspoon white pepper

Then there is this version

1 1/4 cup Hellman's mayonaise (not miracle whip)

1/4 cup water

1 teaspoon tomato paste

1 tablespoon melted butter

1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

1 teaspoon sugar

1/4 teaspoon paprika

dash cayenne pepper

**what will make my decision will be the ability to find garlic juice. Anyone who has ever used this - can you tell me where to find it?

Using a fork or a whisk, blend all ingredients together thoroughly until well mixed and the sauce is smooth. Refrigerate overnight to allow flavors to blend. Bring to room temperature before serving.

The sauce will NOT taste right if you don't let it sit overnight. And please don't try to substitute ketchup for the tomato paste! The water is needed to bring this to the right consistency.

I don't know how long this keeps in the refrigerator; I've kept it 7-10 days, but I always wind up eating it all before 10 days so after that - anyone's guess.

* Hellmann's is called "Best Foods" west of the Rockie Mountains. Use other mayos at your peril - many cheap brands make the sauce taste too much like mayo.

-------------------------------------------------

Baked Chicken With Peaches

Ingredients

  • 5 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves

  • 1/2 cup and 2 tablespoons brown sugar

  • 2-1/2 fresh peaches - peeled, pitted and sliced

  • 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger

  • 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves

  • 1 tablespoon and 3/4 teaspoon fresh lemon juice

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a 9x13 inch baking dish.

  1. Place chicken in the prepared baking dish, and sprinkle with 1/2 cup of brown sugar. Place peach slices over chicken, then sprinkle with remaining brown sugar, ginger, cloves, and lemon juice.

  2. Bake for about 30 minutes in the preheated oven, basting often with juices, until chicken is cooked through and juices run clear.

See you tomorrow!!!




2 comments:

The Kovalls said...

So, I totally deserve a shout out for finding the beni Hana recipe!

Kirsten said...

I don't know about garlic juice, but I know at Asian groceries they have like a garlic sauce in jars. It's like finely minced garlic that is very liquidy. Sometimes it's just garlic, sometimes it's garlic-ginger... if I find some I will pick it up and bring it to you on Saturday.