Tuesday, February 2, 2010

The pictureless post

The grandparents aren't going to like that.

Blame the kids - they are keeping us too busy.

Sunday we went to church and then went shopping afterward. That is always trying on the nerves. Our kids LOVE shopping. A little too much. They get really excited and want to run all over the store. Finley could barely contain herself at church because she was so excited about the shopping.

Not that we did anything that fun. We went to Lowes. And the bookstore. Well - the bookstore they do love. We were in there FOREVER. We were looking for book 6 of Ivy and Bean. Then once we found that, we did a search for more books. But we ended up not leaving with any more than 2 books, which was good restraint.

Mat is moving along with the cabinets and needed some more molding. That was why we were in Lowes. We found some different choices. And we were also there to pick paint colors for the playroom. Yay! I love picking paint colors. Unfortunately - I don't really love to paint.

Sunday night we got a call from our Honeywell system for Arlington's school. For those of you who have no idea what I am talking about, let me enlighten you. The Honeywell system is this beautiful thing that if the school needs to talk to parents - all at once - a message is recorded and then all of us are called at once. It is pretty cool. All of our phones are connected to the system. It is kind of fun to hear them all ring at once. Anywho......the message was that the boiler in the elementary wing of the school had broken.

Here comes the funny part - they were still going to have school. They asked the kids to dress in layers.

I guess that missing a day of school is that far down on their list that having the kids sit in cold temperatures was a better idea.

So, I sent Arlington dressed in heavy layers. The classrooms were only 40 degrees. While I understand they went back and forth to the library to "warm up", I was not pleased that they felt it SO necessary to have school that the kids basically had to sit outside to learn. A few of my friends who are parents called the school pretty upset. They were told that Tuesday all the classes will be spending the day in the library and the boiler should be working by Wednesday.

That should be an interesting day.

I got a call from Arlington's school at 3pm Monday saying she fell off a chair in the library and landed on her stomach. She was crying pretty hard and the nurse was gone for the day, so they wanted me to talk to her. I decided she would be okay to ride the bus - I think she got the wind knocked out of her. She landed hard on her hand and didn't catch herself. No idea how she fell.

Last night she was still complaining that it was sore. I think she bruised something. Poor girl. She was laying it on thick, too.

I also forgot to tell you on Saturday that Arlington has her first loose tooth. She is overly excited about it - it is all she can talk about. It isn't that loose, so it could be awhile. I just hope she doesn't swallow it or something else because she would be devastated.

Cainan had a doctor's appointment yesterday. After coughing for 3 weeks, I decided that he needed to be checked. Now, most coughs last a long time after a cold. But Cainan always get a cough with a cold. Him having asthma has always been in the back of my mind. We were told that some kids from orphanages have asthma due to the conditions. Plus with his cleft lip and palate issues, I couldn't be that far off.

And the cough he has - well, it just sounds different that the coughs the girl's get with colds.

I found out - I was right on. He has asthma. He was wheezing all over. The doctor started him on Albuterol for the asthma and prednisone to decrease the inflammation. He will take the Albuterol for 3 weeks and she will check him next week to see if it is working. If not - he will go on something stronger. The doctor was glad I brought him in while he was sick - much easier to diagnose (duh).

And he also has an ear infection - in the non-tube ear this time. She said since he wasn't complaining she would just see where it went. I had her write me the prescription for the antibiotic just in case it turned ugly before we see her next week. That way I have it for backup. He isn't complaining - not running a fever. So it may resolve itself. He is old enough to tell me - I want to play it out.

Poor buddy. He was funny, though. I told him the medicine was going to help his cough. He took it like a champ. At bedtime, he was coughing a little and came out and said "the medicine didn't work - I am still coughing". Hard to explain it wasn't a miracle drug.

When Finley saw Cainan taking the "supposedly yummy" grape medicine, she started to fake cough. She said she needed some for her cough. What a weirdo.

Today is Ground Hog's day. Arlington came home from school in tears because I guess there was a disagreement on the bus between some of the kids on whether or not the ground hog was special or not. She was very teary because some of the kids thought that the ground hog was not special at all. That girl is so emotional! She is like her father. If she is this upset about the ground hog........what am I going to do when bigger things come to the surface?

Today is also my Godbrother, Matthew's, birthday. I know he is smiling down on us from heaven. He would have been 30 years old today. Happy birthday buddy. We miss you every day but the most around your special days.

See you Saturday.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We also thought about Matt today and miss him so much- he was so special to us. We were happy to see you remembered him in your blog on his birthday day.

love Mom and Dad