Saturday, March 20, 2010

It's a beautiful day

Actually it has been 4 beautiful days in a row. If it is going to turn cold again, and I have a feeling it will, I am going to be so sad. It has been in the 70's. "Unseasonably warm" as the weather man likes to say.

We have required no coats, and have gotten to play outdoors several days in a row. My kids are craving long lasting warm weather.

Days where they can run, and play.

Get a little sun on their face.

Get sweaty and dirty.

All the fun things that come with warm weather.

Wednesday - Saint Patrick's Day. While we are not Irish, we did have fun wearing green for the day.



(Yes I know my St. Patrick's day pictures are pretty awful. I was in a hurry. Cainan was also originally in green - there was a little mishap at bathroom time)

I guess the rotten little Leprechaun did some "damage" in Arlington's classroom, which she was thrilled about.

The rest of the week was filled with outdoor fun. The pictures, I took today, when I finally had time.

Today was Arlington's Destination Imagination tournament. It started at 7am for me. I signed up to be a volunteer, and my duty time was from 7:30-11:30. Another mommy and I decided to split this amount of time, so I was doing the 7:30-9:30 shift.

(almost the whole group - we were missing one)

It ended up being quite fun. I was dreading it last night, because of having to get up so early on a Saturday. But I did have fun meeting some other parents from other schools around Connecticut. My job was to sell the wrist bands you needed to wear to watch the competitions. I had a partner, and she and I had a good time chatting with everyone that came in the door.

(getting ready to perform - they had to make their own sets)

I will definitely be volunteering next year. I love meeting new people and talking to people, so this was a lot of fun.

(getting set up and ready to go - they weren't allowed any adult help)

Arlington's group was not performing until 1:50 pm, so when my friend, Athena, showed up for her shift, I went home to the family for a few hours.

(Arlington doing her report. It has something to do with a pig seeing its shadow. So very silly!)

We had to be back at the competition (which was at a local college - beautiful campus) by 1:15pm so the kids could get ready. Arlington was VERY excited, and not the least bit nervous. I don't kids get too nervous at age 6- I don't think they understand it that well yet.

Not that Arlington is ever nervous about anything. That girl would bungy jump if I let her.

(Arlington asking questions as a reporter)

Anyway, Mat's Aunt Betty has been visiting all week, so she got to come along. As well as the VTs.


Mat bought them a snack, so they were well behaved for the performance.

The kids did a great job. They had to do a silly news report, and they did an excellent job. Arlington was one of the reporters.

We had been really practicing about talking slow, and loud, and clear, and she did a great job.

Because the kids are only 1st graders, they don't have the level of competition that the older kids do.

(the judges talking to the kids after they were done)

But they did get a medal, which Arlington wore for the rest of the day.

Including to dinner, where she showed every waitress who came to our table. She was very proud.

I would like to thank Michelle and Seema - the first grade coaches - for doing an outstanding job with the kids and teaching them something new. I think Arlington learned a lot, and really had a great time. I cannot wait for her to participate again next year!!

After the initial competition was over, the kids had to go to a separate building to do something called "Instant Challenge", which I assume is something like improv. So, off they went.

It is pretty secret, so we don't know what they did there, but they were gone for about 45 minutes. Arlington said it was pretty fun, so that is all that matters. I am unsure why it is secret, but apparently we will eventually get to hear about it.

While Arlington was in the instant challenge, Mat, Aunt Betty, I and the kids sat outside and enjoyed the sunshine on the campus.

The little ones ran all over the place.

It was great exercise and they had a nice time.

After we left the campus, we let Arlington decide where we were going to dinner to celebrate.

She chose Olive Garden. Yum.

After that, we went to the mall so that I could return a few things, and we got ice cream for dessert.

All in all, a very good day. We are very proud of Arlington and were happy that she decided to participate. It was right up her alley.

Tomorrow Aunt Betty goes home and that ends our two weeks worth of company. It will be weird not having guest here, and the kids are really going to miss her.

Tomorrow Arlington also has softball practice. Aunt Betty will get a chance to watch her play before she leaves tomorrow. So that will be fun.

Monday Arlington doesn't have school - teacher inservice I believe. So Mat is taking the morning off to be with her, and I will come home in the afternoon. We are going to see "Diary of a Wimpy Kid". She has read all 4 books, so she is anxious to see the movie.

Oh! Speaking of Movies, Aunt Betty and I saw "Remember Me" at the theater yesterday. I would say it was fairly good. It had a twist ending, and I found myself getting very teary! But it was pretty good. Depressing. But good.

And of course - just to wrap up the luggage saga - Mat's luggage DID appear. We got a call on Tuesday night about 11:45pm that the luggage would arrive the next day. At 4:45am on Wednesday, the phone rings and it is American Airlines - looking for our house to deliver the luggage.

Hey, at least we have it.


I will see you Monday - hopefully! For Making Meals Monday.

No comments: