Friday, June 17, 2011

When you have awesome co-workers

When you have awesome co-workers, they throw you a surprise going away party.
Tonight - I went to a party thrown by my two work besties - Becky and Jessica.
I can imagine all I want that I am not leaving, but Tuesday is crawling closer and closer.  I have shed many tears, but I do think that the worst is yet to come.
I didn't take as many pictures as I would have liked at the party, but we have a fantastic time.
This is the first job I have ever worked where EVERY one of my co-workers I can call my friend.  Every.single.one.

This is Mindy:
(don't look at my face - I closed my eyes!).  Mindy and I met on my first day.  She came to my office (in her Cincinnati Bengals shirt OMG) and said to me "I know what it is like to be new here.  I will show you around."  We were instant friends.  This past year, she taught at a different elementary school, and I missed her terribly.  And she is also moving.  She is heading back to Ohio and I know she is excited.  But I will miss her deeply knowing that she isn't right around the corner any more.  I cannot thank her enough for coming to me on that first day, and immediately taking me in.  I have tried to pay that forward to new people that have come in because I know how great it was for me.

These two lovely people are Jay and Noreen Granucci:
I know I have mentioned them before on my blog, but I didn't have their pictures.  These are the two people who are responsible for Filney's Fighters being chosen for this past Christmas telethon.  THEY are the reason that we stood in that hall with Dr. Bennett this past March and started the research to save Finley's sight.  They are amazing people.  They saw our need, and reached out, and we are eternally grateful.  This was the only time I got really teary tonight was that I thanked them (yet again) for what they did for our family.

I have been so lucky these last three years to get to know this wonderful group of people.  This group of teachers took me in as their school nurse and I immediately became part of their family.
We are a team.  It has been great being a part of a team who has taught me so much.  I have learned so many things about the educational world, and  - although I have always had respect for teachers - being with them every single day, I can now see how much they do.  It would blow you away to spend the day with them.

I am a lucky girl.  I have a wonderful job, with wonderful co-workers, and wonderful friends.  We have had more laughs than tears these last three years.  And on Tuesday, when I say goodbye, it will be one of the hardest good-byes I have ever done.
On Wednesday, I will have to say that I once was a school nurse in Connecticut.  I once had the time of my life at Haddam Elementary School.  I once had the best job anyone could ask for.  I was once an underpaid, overworked nurse who didn't care because I wouldn't trade what I was doing for anything.

I love you HES.  I love the kids, the families, my co-workers.  I will miss them with every piece of my heart.

"Because I knew you - I have been changed for good" - Wicked

No comments: