Saturday, December 4, 2010

Trying to be Martha Stewart on a Target budget

I love decorating for the holidays.  We start the day after Thanksgiving, and it usually takes me about 2 weeks to get everything up both inside and out.

 (Finley is pretending to row a boat)

So far, everything is done inside except our tree.  We are planning on getting the tree tomorrow.  Our family tradition is to get a real tree, and cut it down onselves on a tree farm.  It is a fun experience.  Hopefully this year we can remember to bring the chainsaw - the handsaw takes.......FOREVER.

 The poinsettias I bought from work came in Friday, so I put them in their usual spots. 

 This year I got one pink and white one, and I love it!

 I do not spend a lot of money on Christmas decorations.  And I would be fooling no one if I could make it look like I did.

 But I do love to get a few new things each year after Christmas to add to our collection.  Right now we have been working on getting more for the outside.  We have a huge yard, and I would like to add a few more things out there.

 I don't want to be like the Griswolds, but it would be nice to be a little more like Martha.

 I haven't finished decorating the outside, but so far I have put up the wreathes and the garland.

 This year I have added red and silver bulbs to the garland outside.  I love how it turned out.

 And I put some bigger bulbs and candy cane in our lonely tree in the front of our house.

 Yes, I realize it doesn't have any leaves on it.  But it is right.in.front.  The thing needs some color.

 I still have to add a few lights to the bushes, and we have some deer and snowman that still need to be put in the yard.  I am hoping to get those put up soon.

 Inside we have decorations in just about every room.  Snowmen are my favorite. 

 And we have quite a few Santas as well.

 I love walking into a room and seeing something that is related to the Christmas season.


The kids each have their own little trees.

 They decorated them all by themselves this year.  They did a pretty good job.

 Nothing I get is ever expensive.  I wait until after Christmas every year, and hit the stores for the 50%-90% deals on Christmas items.  The wreaths that hang on my windows? 90 cents each.  The bulbs on the garland?  A $1.00 for 12.  The Garland?  About $2/length - and I have 3 out there.

 Every light item in the yard?  Under $20.  All the decorations on my table?  After Christmas bargins - nothing more than a few dollars (even the tablecloth).  So fun.

 I think our biggest splurge after Christmas once our family was complete was our Stockings.
They are from Pottery Barn, but they still were 50% off!  :)

So this year, on December 26th and 27th, my family and I will be in the stores looking for that cute item to add to our 2011 Christmas.  I think Martha would be proud.

 See you Tuesday!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And I see my very expensive dollar store snowman plates on the kids table. Actually everything looks beautiful- I love the red decorations on the lonely tree outside- love Mom