Monday, October 24, 2011

Monday without the mania

Today was the first time in a long time I was glad it was Monday.  There was very little we had to do today, and I took advantage of that.
Today I volunteered in Cainan's class for the first time.  It was fun getting to see him in class and see how he was doing.  Seems to be doing very well from what I could tell.  The kids were sweet and we had a good time.
 After that, I came home to a quiet house with just me and the dog.  I made a batch of pumpkin chocolate chip muffins, and Halloween cupcakes.  The muffins I needed for the Garden Club meeting I have tomorrow morning (my groups turn to provide the food) but the cupcakes were for the kids to enjoy this week.  The muffins I made from scratch, and I make them every year.  So yummy!  I will share the recipe at the end of this post.
Cainan came home at lunch time and we spent the afternoon hanging out and relaxing.  Nothing on the agenda, and I tried not to get antsy and start a project.  I wanted a down day and forced myself to take one.
We played with the dog outside and then around 2 - Cainan went to his room to play.  I went up to check on him and he was asleep.  And warm.  This is the weirdest virus ever.  Yesterday - he was fine.  This morning - fine.  This afternoon - asleep and warm again.  I gave him motrin when he woke up and this evening he was back to himself.  We will see what the morning brings.  It hasn't even turned into a cold.  So weird.
After the rest of the kids and Mat were home, we carved the pumpkins we picked yesterday.  We let the kids design their own, so....you know.....no explanation on their looks.  Or what they were going for.  But they had fun.


I think Arlington's MIGHT be a vampire.  Cainan's has three eyes because that is scary.  And Finley just drew what came to mind.  Which was a whole bunch of stuff.


The dog was very curious about the pumpkins and even stuck his head inside Cainan's at one point.


It was difficult carving the pumpkins with him around, but cute as well.


 We roasted the pumpkin seeds.  Well, part of them.  We found a recipe to roast them by first soaking them in apple cider, and then baking them covered in brown sugar and cinnamon.  They are yummy.

And now we are relaxing.  A great end to a great Monday.

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins:

  • 4 eggs
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 1 (16 ounce) can pumpkin
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 1/4 cups vegetable oil (yes, 1 1/4 cups)
  • 3 cups flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 2 teaspoons cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 12 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips (Regular or mini, I like mini best)
Directions:

  1. In large mixing bowl beat eggs, sugar, pumpkin, vanilla and oil until smooth.
  2. Mix dry ingredients together and mix into pumpkin mixture. Fold in chocolate chips.
  3. Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups 3/4 full.
  4. Bake at 400 F for 16-20 minutes.

No comments: