Sunday, October 23, 2011

Where did the weekend get to

It is 8pm on Sunday night and I am sitting down on the couch for the first time since Friday night.  This weekend was one I was both looking forward to and dreading all at the same time.  This weekend has been staring me in the face for a few weeks - a build up I knew I would not be able to avoid.
Now - don't get me wrong.  Everything I did this weekend was worth it or fun.  But if I don't have a weekend like this again for a long time, I will not be sad.
It all started at 6am yesterday morning.  We had to be at the yard sale by 7am to set up.  This weekend Mat and I had a table at a local yard sale to sell some of our things and things people had donated to us for the sale.  All the money we raised was going to our non-profit.  But it was an early start to a already very busy day ahead.
We are lucky that we have incredible neighbors.  At 7am, our neighbor Andy came over, loaded his van and went with us to the school to unload.  He stayed until we were completely set up, which was amazing.  We are very lucky he and his wife Lisa are right next door.  The sale started at 8:30 and lasted until 12:30.  In all, we made $315 at our little table, and we thought that was pretty good!  A nice little donation to our fund.  Every little bit helps. Plus - everyone who stopped by got a book mark brailled and information on Finley and our fund.  So, the word was spread.
Cainan and Finley had soccer practice Saturday morning as well.  Again -our wonderful neighbors came by and picked them up at the sale and took them to soccer.  After soccer, Cainan came back and was complaining he was cold.  That boy is never cold.  He felt a little warm, and the sale was coming to an end.  I wrapped him in a blanket and he fell asleep on one of the seats at the sale.  I knew we were in trouble.
By the time we got him home, he was burning up and exhausted.  I gave him medicine and put him to bed.  By this time it is 1:15, and I am supposed to be on my way to Connecticut to meet some of my CT friends for dinner.  (we had made these plans before I signed up for the sale).  Mat was in control of the situation so I headed on my way.
It is a 2 hour drive to where I was going in CT.  I was having dinner with my girlfriends from my old job in Haddam and had been looking forward to it in weeks.  Before meeting them, I stopped by and gave hugs to my little ones (the little girl whose picture I had a few posts ago in the green braille shirt and her brother) and give her mom some braille products she ordered.  It was great to see them.  And they had a great surprise for me.  They had raised a couple $100 at a bake sale (where they and their mom made the baked goods) and wanted to give it to me.  I about cried right there.  My little sweeties.
 I then met my friend Jess and we had time to catch up before we went to dinner with our other friends.  We had a great time - I was so glad to see them all.  I loved being able to catch up. I am lucky this time we only moved a few hours away so that we can still be in contact with each other.
At 9:15, I knew I needed to hit the road if I was going to get home, so I bid them goodbye and headed hom.  By 11:30, I was home and ready for bed.  Now you see why the blog didn't get written yesterday.
Our little puppy is doing well, but he still needs some attention over night.  Last night I had to let him out twice to use the bathroom, and already being exhausted, this was not my favorite.  But he is quick and we weren't up long, and so I didn't mind to much.  Besides - he is extremely cute, so that helps a lot.
By 7am, I was up.  Kids were hungry, dog was hungry, and we still had a busy day ahead.  Finley was supposed to have a playdate, but it was canceled because the little girl was sick.  Mat spent the morning with our neighbor cutting wood for firewood.
 Once the playdate was canceled, we had lunch and loaded up the kids and the dog and headed 45 minutes north to a corn maze and (what we thought) pumpkin patch.  We spent about an hour in the corn maze and the kids had a great time.  (the pictures in this post are from our day today).  Once we realized that the advertisement we read was wrong and there wasn't a pumpkin patch, we headed back home knowing there was one near our home.  We got our three pumpkins and came home.
We walked in the door, Mat headed back out for some groceries, and Finley and I headed to her Daisy troop meet and greet.  Thankfully it was at the house next door, so we didn't have far to go.  Finley had a great time and met some new friends.  We were over until about 5:30, came home for dinner, played a round of candyland, and everyone went to bed.
And that brings me to right now.  On the couch.  Drinking some hope apple cider and watching the dog wrestle with his toys on the floor.  Barely keeping one eye open.  Actually glad that tomorrow.....is Monday.

PS - Scooby is doing great.  As of Saturday, he was already going right to the door and giving a little whine if he needed to go out and use the bathroom!  We knew the dog was smart, but this was pretty crazy.

PPS - Cainan is much better today.  Had kind of a rough day yesterday, but woke up and wasn't warm and ran around all day.  Kids are so weird.

No comments: