Thursday, August 11, 2011

5 shots, 3 blood draws, and a trip to the toy store

Today was the kids annual physicals for school.

Because we are in a new state (again), there are new requirements (again) that we needed to fulfill so that my little cherubs can go off to school and leave me in peace in a few weeks.
Finley needed 3 shots.  Why she needed one more than Cainan, I have no idea.  She was not the least bit pleased.  Poor little skinny arms.  She didn't cry, and she sat still, but she guarded her arms carefully after her traumatic experience.  She had to have a blood draw for lead and she did well with that as well, even though after 4 pinches, I am sure she was really hating me.
Cainan needed 2 shots and a blood draw.  During the shots he looked at the nurse and said "ow".  But didn't cry.  The blood draw - well.....let's just say that Cainan is stronger than I realized.  It took all my strength to keep him from ripping the needle out of his arm.  Thank goodness for a fast phlebotomist.  He cried until I took him to the waiting room to be comforted by Pappy.
Arlington only needed a blood draw.  She sat still and actually didn't mind it.  She has had it before.  And...I bribed her with a toy.  I bribed them all.

Thank goodness Pappy was with me.  It is kind of a circus to do 3 physicals all at once.  We were there for two hours.
Pappy doing surgery on a new toy

Our new pediatrician is wonderful.  I really liked her.  She listened with interest about Finley.  She talked with Arlington about any concerns she had about making new friends/being at a new school.  She listened to my concerns about Cainan's learning.  It was a great appointment.

Arlington is in the 15%tile for height and 65%tile for weight.  My little shorty.  Finley was 50%tile for height and 12%tile for weight.  And Cainan was 50%tile for height and 15%tile for weight.  Believe it or not - Cainan is FINALLY an inch taller and a pound heavier than Finley.  You would think the way he eats, he would be 10 times bigger than she is.
After the visit (and a lot of sparkly bandaids and stickers) we went to the toy store.  The kids each got to pick a little something for being brave.  By the time we got home with their new treasures, all pain was forgotten and forgiven.

House update - more boxes unpacked.  Awesome new friend came by to pick up some boxes for a friend who is moving and we got rid of a lot of the paper.  House is looking more and more put together.  Still loving every inch.
Finley update - don't forget to send in your registrations for her Fun run/bike/walk.  We are 8 days until the event!  Thanks to all of you who have registered and donated.  We appreciate your support.



No comments: