Monday, August 29, 2011

Posies

 I love flowers.
If I had my wish, my whole yard would be filled with flowering plants.  And when I say that, I mean flowering plants that flower all summer long.
I don't even mind the bees.  Okay - I mind the ones that sting you 100 times and fly out of the ground, but not the big fat bumbles that don't bother you.
Today, since we are past the hurricane and the weather was beautiful, I spent 4 hours in the yard.  The kids were happy playing outside today and I got a lot done.  I moved 5 day lilies, two perennial mums, and one blackberry lily (thanks Maria for spotting me the name for that bad boy).  Then I raked until I couldn't stand it any more and pulled up a lot more weeds from the front "garden".  Slowly but surely, we are making headway in our yard.  It is getting exciting.  I have so much more to do, but I still figure I have at least a month and a half before the weather gets too bad.  I can't wait to see it when it gets where we want it.
After we finished in the yard, we ran some errands.  The kids have to have bus passes to ride the bus here (don't ask - I have no idea why) so we had to go and pick those up at the town offices this morning.  School is getting closer.  Arlington said today that she can't wait because she loves school.  And that she does.  She LOVES school.  Finley turned around and said "not me, I don't love school".  Sigh.  Leave it to Finley to make it difficult.  We talked about how she hasn't GONE to school yet, but she corrected me and said last week she rode the bus and was IN the school.  I guess that counted.
Eyeroll.
I have talked to several of my Connecticut friends and they are still out of power.  They were told it might be out the rest of the week.  I feel so bad for them.  I know what it is to be out of power from a hurricane for a week.  But what is worse for our areas is that we have well water.  And that means NO water.  You can't flush the toilets, you can't wash your hands.  They are going crazy.  School was supposed to start in our old area tomorrow, but it has been postponed until September 6th.  They have had heavy damage, and a lot of down trees and flooding.  We are wishing them well and hoping that their power comes on soon.

No comments: