Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Count down to Winter break. Week one

We have a little less than 3 weeks until our next break from work/school. In Connecticut, there are winter breaks. Ours if for the week of Feb. 15-19th. Another 9 days off from school (counting weekends) and work. What could be better? I could think of one thing......getting out of school earlier than June 16th. But I DO enjoy these breaks in the routine.

This year winter break overlaps Arlington's birthday. We are taking her to NYC to the American Girl store for lunch, and then to a show, and then to dinner. Then the next day, myself and the kids are driving back to Pennsylvania to visit with family for the week. Mat cannot take that much time off, so he is enjoying some "me" time. And by "me" time, I mean "working on the bookcases in the basement before I go crazy" time.

(no idea why she has the goggles on inside the house)

Sunday - Mat and the kids were feeling under the weather, so we didn't venture out. Mat spent the day on the couch "working" while I got some things done around the house. I just tease because 1) he did have a lot of work to do and 2) he always let me stay on the couch while he takes care of everything else when I am sick.

Monday was a crazy day at work. We have been struck again by a "bug". Not sure what? H1N1? Not likely. Over half the school already had it and the other half got vaccinated. Strep throat? Could be. We have a lot of sore throats and fevers. Something completely weird? Almost definitely. I swear those kids lick each other for fun to get out of school. I sent 5 kids home on Monday for one illness or another. This almost never happens because I am just that mean. Most days - no one leaves. Wha ha ha ha ha ha.....

Monday Mat picked up Finley and Cainan from daycare. When he got there around 4pm, the lights were out. They did not have any power and hadn't had power for about 1 1/2 hours. They said they called me, but there is no record of the call. They didn't call work, or my cell, or my home phone. And they didn't bother to call Mat who works about 1 mile away. I wasn't pleased, but not that upset. The kids were fine- they weren't the last one's there. The biggest concern wat that they were losing daylight at this time and they were worried because they still had children in the center and soon they would be in complete darkness. Kind of strange! I guess I never thought about a big center like that not having a backup power source. It was quite natural that most places in Florida had backup generators for times like this. I guess I assumed everywhere else was like that too. We are giving them enough money for tuition - some of it should go for some backup power sources!

Finley was funny. When Mat picked her up she said "Ms. D. tried to turn on the lights but they were out of batteries."

Today was another crazy day at work. I don't complain because it goes by really quickly when my office is a revolving door. I am deep in Kindergarten registration now and that is taking a lot of time. It is hard to believe next year at this time I will be filling out paperwork for Finley and Cainan to start Kindergarten. Sniff Sniff!

Today was Daisy Scouts for Arlington and a pot luck and puppet show for the little ones at their school. Mat said that they really loved the puppet show and ate a lot of yummy food. They didn't get home until almost 6:30. Arlington and I had a peaceful evening. Arlington did her homework and then wanted to type letters to Mat and I on the computer. She is quite computer efficient. I knew she could work a mouse because she plays Webkinz. But she is quite the typer as well! Go public school!

I don't think I have updated everyone lately on what Arlington is reading/listening to us read her these days.

She is still working through the Ivy and Bean series on her own. This is a fun series. She is on book 4.

I think there are 7 books in this series. It is a cute little series, and I recommend it.

Mat and I take turns reading to her (and the other two of course) each night. When Mat and I read to Arlington, we get to pick the book to work on, and read to her until the book is done. Right now, Mat just finished with her book one of "A Wrinkle In Time"


She really loved it. He is going to continue the series with the next book "A Wind in the Door"

I think both of them are enjoying the series.

Finley and Cainan are both lovers of books as well. Cainan is in love with any book that is about cars or trucks or Thomas the Train. Finley will listen to just about anything - she likes to change it up every night. But one of her favorite books are about the alphabet. I can't remember the name of her favorite right now and she is asleep or I would go and look.

Teaching Finley the sigh words went pretty well. She has learned "Finley" "Cainan" "Me" "Mom" "Dad" "Cat" "Dog" and "at" . We did those in just a day. I don't think I will add any more until next weekend. She already knew Finley and Cainan. But it was fun. She loved it. We have been going over them every day and she hasn't forgotten yet.


Arlington has been practicing her lines for her upcoming Destination Imagination Challenge/Competition. She has a cute little line and the skit they are doing is hilarious. I don't want to put the lines on here becuase I am not sure of the rules, but once the competition is over, I will share. She learned them quickly and thinks they are hilarious. She is having most trouble not laughing at herself while she says her lines!

I ask for prayers for my cousin, Alissa. She was in a bad car accident. She was lucky and walked away just pretty banged up. But her car was totaled and she was pretty shaken. We pray for a full recovery.

I also ask for prayers for Mat's Uncle Bob. He had a serious heart attack last week and is recovering in the hospital. We pray for him to recovery quickly and be home with his family soon.

See you Saturday!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cainan sure looks preppy with his shirt below his sweater!!! And I love the pink goggles!!

Grammy

Frank and Teen said...

When did Cainan and Finley grow up?!! They look so big!! Please tell them to stop growing so fast.:) Love you guys!