Saturday, January 9, 2010

Just Keep Swimming, Just Keep Swimming

That's what we do we swim, swim!
Movie? Anyone?

Today started swimming lessons for the girls. Cainan was not interested in swimming lessons, although, he will be forced to take them next time. I let him sit and watch the girls hoping it would spark some interest. Today, though, it seemed to just spark more tension between him and the pool. He chewed on his hands the whole time.

Finley and Arlington both enjoyed their lessons today. Finley was in the preschool class, of course. The nice thing is - because she is 3, she doesn't need her mother to get into the water with her. Yay.
There were only 4 kids in Finley's little class. I don't have many pictures close up with her class because we were "gently" told that we were not allowed to sit near her class. That was probably because 2 of the 4 kids were crying to get out. I was not really in favor of moving across the pool from my impulsive 3 year old, but they parked a life guard right next to the group, so that made me feel better.

Finley's class practice floating front and back. Finley did not like being on her back. She didn't cry, but she never really laid down either. It was pretty funny.

Arlington's class didn't have many kids either. They practices different kicks and breathing techniques. I put her in the same class she was in last year because I really didn't think she seemed ready to move on. She is a bit crazy when it comes to swimming, and a bit unsafe, so.....

I left her where she was for now. They will move her if they feel she should move up.

Cainan watched from the sidelines.

He is going to be one of those crying preschoolers when it is his turn to swim. But his mean mother is going to make him do it anyway. I will be across the pool, so I won't have to hear it.

Today after swimming we went and got a few groceries to make meals next week, got a fast food lunch (gasp!) and then headed home. I worked on the Beef Bourguignon all afternoon so that we can eat it tomorrow for dinner. I thought that Julia Child made a cookbook for housewives? And it is supposed to be easy? Who are they kidding - this took about 6 hours to prepare! It better be better than wonderful.

I also ate a lot of chocolate while I was making it. Now I have to walk on the treadmill.

(Arlington made this penguin for her teacher, Mrs. M.)

This week back to work was tough for the kids at my school. It was stomach ache central in my office every day. I even had a few kids beg me to send them home. Just for fun, you know, because they weren't really sick. Just sad to be in school all day and not playing with their new toys.

I can't say I blame them. We did have two days that had two hour delays, so that helped some. Both days Arlington had school on time (so sad), so I had some peace and quiet in the morning. It was bliss.

The kids had an uneventful week. Everyone stayed healthy and by Friday were ready for the weekend. Those darn 5 day weeks are hard.

I got a call from our local elementary school's Occupational Therapist this week regarding Finley. Part of the program with BESB (Board of Education Services for the Blind) is for Finley to be evaluated by an OT. She will have these services, if her vision continues to worsen, once she goes to elementary school, but she also qualifies for them now since she is over 3. The first thing they will do is a screening. If they feel she qualifies for OT services at this time, then they will have a formal evaluation done a little later. The screening is this coming Thursday morning, the 14th. Mat is going to take her. She will be at the school for 1 hour. We are personal friends with one of the OT's that work with our elementary school, so she and I have been talking before this. I personally don't think Finley needs any services at this time, unless they can fix that she writes her words completely backward - like if you held it up to a mirror, it would be perfect. It is very odd.

Finley also has an appointment coming up on the 19th for a vision field test. She, myself and the teacher from BESB will be going to this appointment. It is at the Perkins School for the Blind in Massachusettes. I am really looking forward to this appointment and really hope it will give us a better insight on to how she sees. Right now, we think her vision is "choppy" She has some blockage in her central vision and her peripheral vision and that is why she turns every which way to see things. But we could be wrong.

Still no word on her bloodwork from the lab in Iowa. We think we still have about 2-3 months wait for that. And then, if that doesn't turn up anything, we have to move to ANOTHER lab which will run more tests. This one, we understand, only takes a few weeks turn around, and we really wish we would have known about it first.

Cainan learned to use the computer this week at school. He picked it up quite quickly, and his teachers were really impressed. So, we are going to have him start to use it at home. That should be interesting.

I took this picture of Arlington reading the other day.

She reads in the most interesting positions. I could not read like this - all the blood would run to my head. But I am old.

Arlington has taken a liking to my new Ipod (which arrived this week!) . I put a few games on there for kids and she has had a great time with them. She has also figured out how to use it in other ways as well. She is NEVER getting a cell phone. She would be dangerous.

She and Finley laid together while she played. It was very cute. And they stayed here for almost 1 hour - crazy!
That is all. Tomorrow is church and getting ready for the week again. I think all weekends should be a minimum of three days. There just isn't enough time to actually relax between cooking and cleaning and doing laundry (this was a non-housekeeper week. I can hear the tears falling down your face for me).

And totally off topic
We are still being invaded by ladybugs. We don't have nearly as many as we did in the fall obviously, but I think they may be procreating in our house. They are lucky they are cute.

Before I go, I would like to congraulate my sister in law, Carrie, on her pregnancy with baby #4!! We are very excited to meet our new niece (or nephew. I am hoping for a girl) this July! Another summer baby - yay! Arlington and I will probably be making the trip down around the time of the birth to meet him/her. We are excited!!

Wow. This post is totally random.

See you all Monday for "Making Meals Monday!"

3 comments:

The Kovalls said...

Love the iPod pics - Arlington looks just like me :-)

Keep us posted on Finley.

And, please take pictures when you finally force Cainan into the water!

anymommy said...

Dory! Finding Nemo! Love it.

Unknown said...

Have your school or local Lions Club look at PediaVision for vision screening children as young as 6 months. It takes less than 5 seconds with a hand held camera from a distance of 3 feet away from the child.
www.pediavision.com

http://www.clickorlando.com/video/21135501/index.html Orlando TV station news video

Linda Daly