Tuesday, January 11, 2011

My new favorite blog

It is no secret to many of my family members that I read a lot of blogs.  You know....in all my spare time.  Okay - so maybe I only read a few blogs, but wish I had time for more.

That is besides the point.  The point is - I have a new favorite blog (besides all my family members - they don't count).

http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/

You have to check.this.out.  Most people who know me, know I LOATHE Walmart.  Mat and I had bad experiences with the W@lmart when we lived in Florida, and we haven't really had a desire to go back.  Not that we don't - I go in if I am desperate.  And I usually regretted it as soon as I am in there.

But - you have to see this blog.  It is AWESOME.

-------------------------------------------
Moving on.

In today's news - Mother Nature is playing another cruel trick on the North East.  We are expecting anywhere from 14-20 inches of snow starting tonight and ending sometime on Thursday.  I have already turned off my alarm for tomorrow - knowing there won't be school, but I am not sure about Thursday.  Hopefully just a delay.  Here, in Connecticut, we make up our snow days at the end of the school year.  This is not pleasant, because in a normal year, we are not done until June 15th or so.  Add snow days and before you know it, we are in the 20's of June and still in school.  It is hot, and sticky, and the kids (and adults) are sick of it.  So.....my vote is delay.....but no cancellation.
I don't think that is going to happen tomorrow.  But you never know.  I mean - Weathermen are never wrong....right?  Hmmmm?  Oh...my bad.  They are never RIGHT.

Not to get off track - but when we lived in Florida, we were expecting a "hurricane".  I put that in quotes because we had a saying where we lived - "If Jim Cantore shows up - we know we are in trouble".  If you don't know who Jim Cantore is (if you live in South Florida, he is your BFF) - he is the weather guy on the Weather Channel that goes everywhere there are MAJOR weather problems.  Once - he came to Connecticut and I about died.  And we had terrible weather.

Anyway (focus, focus).  Hurricane, Florida, moving on.  So - schools were canceled, work was canceled, we didn't put our shutters on our windows (no Jim, no shutters).  But we were ready just in case.  Gas in the car, food in the house.  We were prepared.

The news talked about nothing else.  For.days.  And when the day of the "hurricane" came, we had a light breeze and sun.  It was hysterical.  Mat and I took the kids shopping.  It was a BEAUTIFUL day.  I remember the local weathermen trying to cover up their mistake by saying we got "really lucky".  They even went to the Weather Channel at one point - to Steve Lyons - the weather god, and Steve said (and I quote) "I've got nothing".

So - now that I have enlightened you, I will say that if Jim Cantore shows up here in Connecticut, we are doomed.  For all you Pens fans who watched the Winter Classic a few weekends ago?  He was there.  How was the weather?  Beware of Jim Cantore.  The weather will NOT be good if he appears.

Now that Mat is back and can tell you that he was away on a trip for the last few days.  He was in Florida, visiting our old stomping grounds.  He was there on business, but I know he likes to catch up with his old workmates.

I just had a feeling that him flying to Florida, when the country was getting snow all over the place, was not going to end well.

And I was right.  He ALMOST got stuck.  He changed his flight so he could get home ahead of the storm, but unfortunately, the storms in North Carolina and Atlanta had everyone stranded in the south.  By a stroke of luck, he got a flight into Philadelphia and then on to Rhode Island.  I was glad because they told him if he didn't get up here today, it might be Friday before he could get home.  Single parenting was not fun for 2 days, let alone a week, thank you.
Finley had a stomach ache on Monday.  I got a call at the daycare.  It never fails that when Mat is away, a child has trouble at school with illness.  She was okay - and made it through the day, and today woke up feeling much better.  Thank goodness.  Arlington told me that it was because of the "type" of snow she ate.  When Arlington found out that Finley had a stomach ache she said to me, "I told Finley only eat snow that no one has stepped in".  What a riot.
We went to Target today after I picked up the kids.  I wanted to get a few snack foods.  What I found funny was that ALL the milk was gone from Target.  Every last bit.  Really?  Milk?  Not water?  Water shelves were still full.  But milk was all gone.

I could keep going, but I will stop here.  If I don't, I might not have anything to say tomorrow.  So stay tuned!  I know you will be on the edge of your seat waiting for me to return.








No comments: